Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Swap Eir router for another. Settings?

• 15-03-2020 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭

Hi.

I put this in the Broadband forum but got no answer. MAybe someone here can help'

Ta.
    I've recently got an Eir fibre broadband package. All good speed wise but the router Sagemcom 50001 isn't a patch distance wise on my old one which is a TP Link Archer C2 AC 750 I tried plugging the TP Link into the Fibre terminal and went through the connection wizard. It failed to connect due to not knowing the ISP's protocol, or words to that effect.

Just wondering if I can manually change some settings to get it to work or would I need a newer router.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

Yes you can replace the router.
    I had to do it with the F2000 before Christmas to get over the 32 device limit.

The most important thing you need to be able to do is to set a VLAN tag with the value of 10. If the router supports that, the rest should work once it's set.

This page gives a good description of what you need to look out for:
    https://conor.engineer/2018/02/10/replace-the-eir-f2000-router/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Thanks Niall.

I couldn't find any VLAN settings on the router so googled it.

I found this on a forum.
    Re:how to configure VLAN Tp-Link archer c2
    C2 doesn't support VLAN.

Not a major issue for now as I've a hardwired router upstairs for a PS4 and my daughter's work laptop and another to the TV and satellite box. The biggest problem is losing the wifi in the kitchen and out the back where I listen to a lot of internet radio or play music on YouTube. I was always able to get it with the old router on a sub 6MB download. Now I've 150 down and it goes as soon as I go out and close the back door. No big deal at the minute as you wouldn't put a milk bottle out in this weather. I might look at getting some kind of repeater.

Thanks for the link. I'm sure it'll come handy when I get a more modern router at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭niallb

Have you tried plugging the C2 into a LAN port on the hardwired router?
    You should still be able to use it as an access point even if you can't use it as a router.

I'm sorted now. The router at the TV was an old Netgear with a broken antenna. I've replaced it with the TP Link and all is good. As it's closer to the back door I've wifi further up the garden than ever before.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Sorry for hijack, I have the F2000 and it is acting up. I have fibre to the home (FTTH) and this thing is a pain in the hole. Luckily I can work from home during the spread of covid-19 but today I couldn't hear someone on a conference call even though I was connected via Ethernet cable.

Any suggestions for a really solid replacement for the F2000?

• Advertisement

Vegeta wrote: »
    Sorry for hijack, I have the F2000 and it is acting up. I have fibre to the home (FTTH) and this thing is a pain in the hole. Luckily I can work from home during the spread of covid-19 but today I couldn't hear someone on a conference call even though I was connected via Ethernet cable.

Any suggestions for a really solid replacement for the F2000?

I've had the TP Link for about 3 years with plenty of traffic and never had a bother with it. Maybe check out their range and make sure it's VLAN compatible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

sligojoek wrote: »
    I've had the TP Link for about 3 years with plenty of traffic and never had a bother with it. Maybe check out their range and make sure it's VLAN compatible.

Thanks sligojoek, I have a tp link switch after the F2000 so I'll give them a look

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Rigante82

Bit late to this thread but I'm having issues with eir dropping connections or not having any network ,2.4g or 5g, available. Just wondering if replacing the router (F2000 model) will help? Also whats the best to replace with? I was looking at something like the ASUS RT-AC86U Wi-Fi AC2900, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭happyplants

Me too. The dropping is starting to get me down.

Can I ask, are you using yours for WiFI as well?

I have mine plugged into Orbi mesh in AP. I am now wondering (reading this) does some 32 device issue cause a disaster, as I am over that. I just figured that was for the WiFi but if the f2000 can't handled it through the Orbi I might have a reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭brio09

How did your project go in replacing the EIR modem with your own? I have 78 wifi/wired devices and asus zenwifi ET12 routers/APs. I want to bypass the EIR modem to get more of the 1gbps FTTH. searching for its VLAN settings brought me here. my box says eir fibre box 1A 1.0 sagemon CS 50001. which device is that? i find mentions of f3000 etc. online.

• Advertisement
Advertisement