Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pump in attic extremely noisy - New build - Any advice appreciated

Options
  • 14-03-2020 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Moved into a new build in Baltinglass four weeks ago. Head is genuinely melted with the noise and child on the way in 8 weeks. Any help much appreciated.

Its an ecodan air to water heat system in our house. Big fan outside the house, cant even hear it when running, happy days. The Ecodan Unit in the hot press makes no noise, happy days. However the ecdodan unit is connected to the water tank in the attic. When we put a tap on for warm water of flush a toilet the pump in at attic kicks in, and the noise vibrates down through the house for 10-20 seconds. The noise is something else.

I went into the attic and went up to the water tank. The image attached is what you can see. There is insulation just thrown everywhere in my attic, my neighbours tank and the orange unit with pressure gauge that you see in the photo attached is fully wrapped in his house. I have also brought this up with the developer also as this may be causing some additional noise.

However the noise in my attic is so much louder than the identical unit next door that im thinking the pump itself is faulty. The pressure on the orange Logicpress unit you can see in the photo flickers drastically at 4 when the pump kicks in. Here is the link to that orange unit: https://www.rvr.ie/products/logicpress-m

The dial flickers so much on the logicpress unit that it makes a noise on its own. However the main vibration/noise that we hear downstairs appears to come from the large water tank. Its wrapped in black insualted material so im not sure where its actually coming from, maybe an immersed pump or maybe its not immersed, im not sure.

My first question would be, should the pressure on the orange logicpress part be at 4 when its running? I have been told it is quite high elsewhere.

Second question - If the noise when the toilet and taps are used normal? I have rang the developer multiple times. Our new build was built just over a year ago (was show house) and even though we moved in four weeks ago we are being told the pump is out of warranty, so there is heated discussions going on about who is responsible at the moment. We are waiting weeks for someone to come out.

Third question: If the noise is normal can any recommend how we can reduce it. Willing to spend what it takes to get it sorted should the developer just keep pissing around. I cannot believe that a new house system could be this noisy. There is just no way.

Absolutely any advice much appreciated and if anyone knows a plumber who is any use please let me know. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Sounds like there is muck in the pump.
    I suspect its submersed in the tank; you will have to pull away all the covers and go fishing...

Although the combi heating systems are generally setup to use a total pressurised house, I believe its ridiculous to pump toilets and sinks. From a tank in the attic, the only thing that (may) need pumping is the shower.

Talk to your plumber if its possible to take a cold feed from the tank for the bathrooms. Toilet and sink at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭pj12332

Thank you for the information. I will definitely ask about the toilets and sink. Brand new house, I would hope there is no muck in it. I'll have a look though and see thanks
    whizbang wrote: »
    Sounds like there is muck in the pump.
    I suspect its submersed in the tank; you will have to pull away all the covers and go fishing...

Although the combi heating systems are generally setup to use a total pressurised house, I believe its ridiculous to pump toilets and sinks. From a tank in the attic, the only thing that (may) need pumping is the shower.

Talk to your plumber if its possible to take a cold feed from the tank for the bathrooms. Toilet and sink at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Any of these pumps mounted to a timber struxture are going to be a disaster for noise vibrating through the house.
    Look up the pump model and get the fitting instructiins online.
    Id bet it will say it should be mounted onto a dense material such as a block wall. Some products come with fitting kit that can isolate it from structure. See what the story is and see if yours is in accordance with manufacturers recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 danny19861986

Hi. Did you ever find a solution to this?

I am dealing with this nearly 6 years now and it's come to the stage where I've had enough as I work nights and as soon as a tap runs boom the pump kick in until stopped again.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭pj12332

Hi, I've moved and all since then. But the easiest solution that was suggested was by an electrician. Cost 70 odd quid. The pump in the attic was plugged in up there. He ran a cable down into the utility room in the hall below and put a switch on it. The pump was only necessary for the shower and if you wanted a kitchen sink full of hot water quickly. So we had it turned off 99% of the time.

Gravity system allowed the toilets and taps to function without the pump. Taps were a small bit slower but perfectly fine to use and the toilet took maybe 45 seconds to refill rather than 10 seconds with the pump which makes absolutely no difference. So overnight we had complete silence. Just popped switch on when having shower and back off after. Saved my sanity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement