Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tyres for EV

Options
  • 14-03-2020 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

Replacing 4 tyres on L30 - 205/55/16 XL.
    Michelin Energy seem to be coming in around €105 to €110 (AA)
    Nokian e-line 2 are approx. €85 (BA)
    Continental ecocontact 5 approx. €78 (BB)

Previously has Nokian eline 2 and they were reasonable for grip but longevity wasn't great 25k km on front.

Anyone consider Michelin are worth the premium?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭eagerv

The Ioniq we just bought had 4 new Michelin Primacy 4 fitted before we bought. I don't know the price or how they compare to others, but rolling resistance seems to be low and it's hard to spin the wheels unless climbing a steep gradient. They are also quiet compared to other cars I drive at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,156 ✭✭✭✭Water John

My guy said a good quality tyre is fine on EV, no need for specials. I think the're Dunlop. Think they were A and B in wet surface braking and wear. Also were low noise 68db and you'd notice it, €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There are no "EV tyres", with the exception of Michelin Energy EV that claims to be made specifically for EVs...
    What they are is simply less noisy. As there is no engine you tend to notice tyre noise more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

creedp wrote: »
    Replacing 4 tyres on L30 - 205/55/16 XL.
    Michelin Energy seem to be coming in around €105 to €110 (AA)
    Nokian e-line 2 are approx. €85 (BA)
    Continental ecocontact 5 approx. €78 (BB)

Previously has Nokian eline 2 and they were reasonable for grip but longevity wasn't great 25k km on front.

Anyone consider Michelin are worth the premium?

So far of all sets I’ve had on my Ls I like the Michelin Energy Saver the most. I did 46k km on a set I sold the car with and still had about 5k left on them.
    Plenty of others after Avon, Dunlop, some cheap ones and nothing else made compared to the Michelin in terms of road noise, longevity and performance...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Honestly? On any car tyres are one component where there really is no worthwhile saving in buying cheap. Divide the price of a set of ditchfinders by the KMs you’d cover using them. Then do the same for a quality set.

The tiniest fraction of a fraction of a cent in the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭creedp

biko wrote: »
    There are no "EV tyres", with the exception of Michelin Energy EV that claims to be made specifically for EVs...
    What they are is simply less noisy. As there is no engine you tend to notice tyre noise more.

Agree with that view and personally not too concerned by tyre noise. I currently have Nokian winters on and Id be surprised if any summers are noiser! While obviously excellent grip is essential, when it comes to the L30 any additional range that can be eked out by lower resistance tyres would be a godsend!!

colm_mcm wrote: »

That's a good price for those. I got one (€90) put on the rear after a puncture mid-journey last year but I found the longevity quite poor. On the other side was a Michellin Energy with approx. 50% grip left and both were replaced together with very similar levels of grip left.

So I'd be happy to go with Michelin Energy again other than the price which is steep compared to rivals

Anyone use these guys? They seem good value compared to the Michelin Energy

https://www.tyreleader.ie/car-tyres/continental/ecocontact-6/205-55-r16-94v-1029985

• Registered Users Posts: 73,390 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Every Continentals I’ve had wear out very quickly. They’re a nice quiet tyre (to generalise a whole brand)

I’d stick with Michelin or Good Year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I went with Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons Gen 2 from blackcircles. They're a revelation. Will never buy summer tyres again.

Advertisement