Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Phone Hotspots Query

Options
  • 13-03-2020 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭

Apologies not sure where best to put this, just wondering what are best options here for logging onto Phone using Phone as Hotspot etc. with Laptop; there's Mobile Hotspot, Bluetooth tethering, and USB tethering. So what do I go into?

Clicking on USB tethering activates the Phone as a Hotspot and makes it discoverable on my Laptop, and then USB tethering appears to go off. So then what's the difference between Bluetooth tethering and Mobile tethering? Can either or both be used and what are they both for?

Plus am very very wary now of Neighbours using up my Mobile Data Allowance, so how do I prevent that.. If I'm activating a Hotspot, - aren't you essentially making your connection shareable for multiple people or computers nearby, but I don't want to make it shareable, I just need to go on the Hotspot myself for myself, hope that makes sense. I'm confused now.:rolleyes::(

I just want to use Hotspot for Internet purposes rather than for sharing capabilities/purposes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Apologies not sure where best to put this, just wondering what are best options here for logging onto Phone using Phone as Hotspot etc. with Laptop; there's Mobile Hotspot, Bluetooth tethering, and USB tethering. So what do I go into?

I presume I need to click on USB tethering to activate the Phone as a Hotspot in the first place and make it discoverable on my Laptop, so that's that, so then what's the difference between Bluetooth tethering and Mobile tethering?

Plus am very very wary now of Neighbours using up my Mobile Data Allowance, so how do I prevent that.. If I'm activating a Hotspot, - aren't you essentially making your connection shareable for multiple people or computers nearby, but I don't want to make it shareable, I just need to go on the Hotspot myself for myself, hope that makes sense. I'm confused now.:rolleyes::(

I just want to use Hotspot for Internet purposes rather than for sharing capabilities/purposes.
    Turn on Bluetooth on both and pair, you will get a code which you confirm , this prevents anyone else from accessing. I think that's the method i used last time I did it .
    Edit, turn on Bluetooth tethering under internet and network on mobile.

You don’t need to do anything except make sure your hotspot has password protection on the phone, the very same as a normal WiFi network does. Just turn on the hotspot and connect to is as you would do to WiFi as normal. No need to bluetooth, USB, to anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭misstearheus

I still want to know what they are/do!:D

I don't have Connect Automatically checked on my Laptop but it still does connect automatically without asking for a Password. It did ask for Key very first time I connected it on Laptop and I put in Password that's coming up with it under Mobile Hotspot Section on my Phone under Settings under Connections under Mobile Hotspot & Tethering. Thanks for replies.

USB tethering is for when you’re using a computer with no WiFi connectivity. I regularly use it in work but it’s a faff to get up and running initially.

Once your neighbours don’t have that password then you’re sorted. Treat the hotspot exactly as you would any WiFi connection.

Advertisement