Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nursing vs Teaching

• 12-03-2020 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi guys,

I'm a qualified paediatric nurse looking to return to college to do primary teaching.

Any advice from anyone who has degrees in both and which you would recommend?

Would appreciate any advice from primary teachers out there or anyone who's done hibernia ☺️

Thank you!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Have you done some work experience or at least observation in a primary setting ? Can you survive on the odd day subbing here and there down the line ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Cripes.

Very different jobs to be sure. Even primary teaching itself is a completely different job depending on what class you have, what school you're in, what area you work in.
    I did the Hibernia course and I know plenty of others who also did. Lovely people individually but a deeply unpleasant company to deal with on an official level. I'm sure their year on year trend of fee inflation has continued unabated so it's probably 150,000 euro to do the course now is it? :rolleyes:. But, it's a means to an end and, for a returning student, the only show in town really If you pay for the course and do the course you will get your teaching qualification out of it in the end.

Best of luck with it if you decide to give it a go. Certainly in times of pandemic primary school teaching has shown itself to be the easier gig. :o I wouldn't envy anyone working in the health system under normal circumstances let alone this recent upending of our societal norms. :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Teaching isn’t an “ easier gig.” Let the OP try some observation in both .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Teaching isn’t an “ easier gig.” Let the OP try some observation in both .

Yes. It is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Molly97

fat bloke wrote: »
    Cripes.

Very different jobs to be sure. Even primary teaching itself is a completely different job depending on what class you have, what school you're in, what area you work in.
    I did the Hibernia course and I know plenty of others who also did. Lovely people individually but a deeply unpleasant company to deal with on an official level. I'm sure their year on year trend of fee inflation has continued unabated so it's probably 150,000 euro to do the course now is it? :rolleyes:. But, it's a means to an end and, for a returning student, the only show in town really If you pay for the course and do the course you will get your teaching qualification out of it in the end.

Best of luck with it if you decide to give it a go. Certainly in times of pandemic primary school teaching has shown itself to be the easier gig. :o I wouldn't envy anyone working in the health system under normal circumstances let alone this recent upending of our societal norms. :(

Thanks for your response greatly appreciated! Would you recommend hibernia would you think, other option i was considering was Mary I ☺️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Molly97

Have you done some work experience or at least observation in a primary setting ? Can you survive on the odd day subbing here and there down the line ?

I did work experience in a primary school back in school, but just observation so didn't get much of a feel for the job in terms of behind the scenes of lesson planning or the realities of having a room full of kids to yourself!

Primary teaching has really changed in the last 5 years , to say the least. The primary language curriculum is moving us towards the dreaded English system. The amount of paperwork is incredible and growing by the day. While I love my job, I am glad to be closer to the end of my career and have actively discouraged family members from entering teaching. I'd try and get some more up to date observation before you commit.

Advertisement