Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike to Work claw back.

Options
  • 12-03-2020 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭

I have been looking at bikes recently, and online on the CSS website I noticed that bikes bought through the btw scheme are subject to a 10% clawback on the price of the bike.

Considering my employer will be paying the €1000 up front with me paying the excess on my initial application, could someone explain why this additional cost is borne?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

huh? you have a link?
    you mean CSS are charging a 10% premium to handle a sale as part of BTW?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

huh? you have a link?
    you mean CSS are charging a 10% premium to handle a sale as part of BTW?

As God is my judge. It's in the t&cs on the btw link. Btw and payment through one4all subject to 10% clawback.
    I'm on the phone so unable to link but when I get a chance I will. I saw it there less than 10 mins ago, hence this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I can't see it on the CSS website but I remember this from the start of BTW years ago, whereby any intermediary in the process charged a 10% premium. One bike shop told me that if I could have my work pay them directly they'd give me the 10% off the cost of the bike.

Just went back there again and to clarify and apologise. The full VIP discount is not applied to the price of the bike if bought through btw and/or one4all vouchers.

Still, can't understand however why this discount is negated, but suppose my decision if I choose to purchase there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

any intermediary in the process charged a 10% premium. One bike shop told me that if I could have my work pay them directly they'd give me the 10% off the cost of the bike.

This is the reason, your company isn't paying CSS it's paying a middleman to provide you with a voucher. It's an absolute con and should've been done away with from day one.

• Advertisement

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    This is the reason, your company isn't paying CSS it's paying a middleman to provide you with a voucher. It's an absolute con and should've been done away with from day one.

Not all however. My employer does it through EFT directly afaik.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Not all however. My employer does it through EFT directly afaik.

If that's the case, there will be no claw back

CramCycle wrote: »
    If that's the case, there will be no claw back

I got it ar$eways, there is NO clawback through the btw, however there IS a clawback on the VIP discount thru the btw.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I got it ar$eways, there is NO clawback through the btw, however there IS a clawback on the VIP discount thru the btw.
    What I am saying is if your company pay direct, there should be no claw back on the discount either. The claw back is because those middle men gougers charge 10% on each sale, effectively eroding any ships ability to discount.

What I am saying is if your company pay direct, there should be no claw back on the discount either. The claw back is because those middle men gougers charge 10% on each sale, effectively eroding any ships ability to discount.

Thats great to know. Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

Deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

deleted

Thats not allowed and would be tax fraud. You are not permitted to ask advice about avoiding tax.

MOD VOICE: As Kaisr has said, tax avoidance is illegal and talk about it, even hypothetical is not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭super_sweeney

MOD VOICE: As Kaisr has said, tax avoidance is illegal and talk about it, even hypothetical is not allowed.

thanks did'nt cop that at all! apologies. Hind sight not the brightest question!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Gerry

Sadly it seems most btw is through these middlemen. It took a bit of back and forth with CSS before they got it that there would be an EFT of the full amount.

Gerry wrote: »
    Sadly it seems most btw is through these middlemen. It took a bit of back and forth with CSS before they got it that there would be an EFT of the full amount.

I would avoid using the term bike to work. This implies to alot of them its one of the middlemen companies. Just ask can you get a quote and you will pay the full amount by EFT. From their point of view, its the asme as you using a bank card in the shop, just takes a day or two longer to appear in their account.

Advertisement