Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is planning required for a well?

Options
  • 11-03-2020 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi All
    Our planning permission was granted with the condition that we had to get "a connection agreement from irish water". It turns out that the water mains doesn't go down our road (cul de sac) and the cost to bring the connection from the mains would be 30K.
    Its obviously cheaper to sink a well but im wondering if we need to re-apply to planning to sink a well? im hearing varying opinions on this

Its likely the council granted permission on the understanding that there was a water mains passing the site.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,218 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Faiche Ro wrote: »
    Hi All
    Our planning permission was granted with the condition that we had to get "a connection agreement from irish water". It turns out that the water mains doesn't go down our road (cul de sac) and the cost to bring the connection from the mains would be 30K.
    Its obviously cheaper to sink a well but im wondering if we need to re-apply to planning to sink a well? im hearing varying opinions on this

Its likely the council granted permission on the understanding that there was a water mains passing the site.

personally i would simply write into your local authority, citing your planning reference and the particular condition, and explain that there is no reasonable water main connection available and the closest connection is not economically viable.
    inform them that, as compliance with this condition is not possible, you WILL be sinking a bored well in order to provide potable water for your home.

register the letter and keep proof of posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Not that simple. You would have to drill a test well and demonstrate to them that the well water is of an acceptable quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

It turns out that the water mains doesn't go down our road (cul de sac) and the cost to bring the connection from the mains would be 30K.

Are you the only house on the road? If there are others with septic tanks it might not be possible/advisable to drill a well.

If there are others on the road you may be able to come to a share agreement to use one of their existing wells or split the cost of the mains connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

I'd say so. Someone from the council might arrive and say "well, what do we have here?"
    ...I'll get me coat

• Subscribers Posts: 41,218 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Are you the only house on the road? If there are others with septic tanks it might not be possible/advisable to drill a well.

If there are others on the road you may be able to come to a share agreement to use one of their existing wells or split the cost of the mains connection.

Sharing Wells is not an option.
    The other party would have to agree to legal wayleaves over those ground to the well.

Obviously sinking a well for potable water is dependent on all requirements such as separation distances from potential spouses of contamination being met, and testing of the water being acceptable ... That's why its called "potable" on the first place.

Essentially the council have included a condition that they didn't properly consider during the application.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭db

sydthebeat wrote: »
    The other party would have to agree to legal wayleaves over those ground to the well.

Obviously sinking a well for potable water is dependent on all requirements such as separation distances from potential spouses of contamination being met, and testing of the water being acceptable ... That's why its called "potable" on the first place.

Essentially the council have included a condition that they didn't properly consider during the application.

Usually the original application will include a well and waste disposal if required. If this is not on the application the council will assume you are connecting to public supply. If you do have a well on the application there will be a condition that you have both quality and quantity of water tested before building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Why? Lot's of people share wells.

So it is an option, if the well owner agrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,275 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Hi All

If you do an LCCA on the well, you may find the connection is cheaper.

You are also assuming you will find potable water that will be there in mid summer.
    I would go for a cheaper kitchen and have it connected.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭hero25

personally i would simply write into your local authority, citing your planning reference and the particular condition, and explain that there is no reasonable water main connection available and the closest connection is not economically viable.
    inform them that, as compliance with this condition is not possible, you WILL be sinking a bored well in order to provide potable water for your home.

register the letter and keep proof of posting.

This is the most sensible bit of advice. I suggest use your engineer/whoever lodged your planning application & engage with the council.
    If there's no public water, I presume you then have details of your own septic tank/percolation system in your existing planning application?
    sinking a well is no big deal and council wont have an issue with it, as long as its kept away from boundaries, septic tank etc as per regulations.
    they also have no interest in it being safe & you wont have to prove its safety, But I assume you do have an interest it being safe to consume!!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Faiche Ro

Thanks all for the responses. I will engage with the council regarding sinking the well before i take any other steps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

hero25 wrote: »
    This is the most sensible bit of advice. I suggest use your engineer/whoever lodged your planning application & engage with the council.
    If there's no public water, I presume you then have details of your own septic tank/percolation system in your existing planning application?
    sinking a well is no big deal and council wont have an issue with it, as long as its kept away from boundaries, septic tank etc as per regulations.
    they also have no interest in it being safe & you wont have to prove its safety, But I assume you do have an interest it being safe to consume!!
    I done a few applications for housing with wells over the years. Its pretty tricky and they certainly will want all angles covered off.
    Lab test results for water quality, separation distances, water pressure available and capacity of the well.
    This is all is there is an existing well.
    To bore a new well and then satisfy all of the above is a pretty big expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,275 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

hero25 wrote: »
    You serious?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭hero25

Yes - did this myself in last 2 years & had no dealings with the council apart from initial planning and final sign-off.
    They expressed no interest in the water: its quality, pressure, supply etc....
    Of course i tested all those for myself, but nothing sent to the Council.

Advertisement