Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of doctor?

Options
  • 11-03-2020 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

What type of doctor/clinic would drain a periungal abscess?

I have been struggling to find the type of doctor to see.

I look up clinics like express care but I’m not sure if this falls outside the scope.

I went to a gp and they weren’t very helpful with suggestions. They said an A and E could drain one but there must be a type of doctor who would also do it?

Not looking for medical advice, just the type of professional to seek.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

What type of doctor/clinic would drain a periungal abscess?

I have been struggling to find the type of doctor to see.

I look up clinics like express care but I’m not sure if this falls outside the scope.

I went to a gp and they weren’t very helpful with suggestions. They said an A and E could drain one but there must be a type of doctor who would also do it?

Not looking for medical advice, just the type of professional to seek.

Some GPs will do it, if they offer a minor/community-based surgery service. Emergency physicians and surgeons should be able to do it either.

Personally I’d ring a local GP and check on the phone whether this is something they can do. Bearing in mind that the previous GP may have had a reason for not doing it other than simply not offering the service (abscess too big, you’re on some sort of medication that would complicate the procedure etc.), which I imagine they would have discussed with you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Bit vague of an answer I know but its the sort of thing AE and some but not all GP's usually so.

Advertisement