Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

Busconnects and MetroNorth now dead in the water due to 3bn Coronavirus aid package?

  • 11-03-2020 11:25am
    #1
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭ Harpon


    I can’t help but feel we have just been condemned to at least another 10 years of commuter hell and gridlock, as surely there will not be any available funding for these projects now?

    Our only hope of easing congestion and improving journey times is for more companies to allow/encourage employees to work from home.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭ Idbatterim
    Registered User


    Who knows! The nbp going ahead was idiotic. With the current situation, it’s a total disgrace. There is no comparison between it and the importance of DU or DM for example. If the **** hits the fan again, I’d way prefer projects like this to be going ahead , than squandered on sustaining outrageous welfare etc


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 21,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭ bk
    Moderator


    3bn Coronavirus aid package in itself, no, that was money that had set aside for Brexit issues, so wouldn't directly impact infrastructure project.

    However the broader picture of Coronavirus drawing out and triggering a global recession could certainly impact infrastructure projects. Infrastructure projects are always the first to be impacted in a recession here unfortunately.

    Having said that, it depends on how bad the virus is, how long it sticks around and how deep and long the recession is. Previous infection triggered recessions were typically short and the global economy rebounded quickly after. If that is the case again, then I'd expect no or only a minor delay to such projects.

    On the other hand if if it drags out and a recession deepens, then I'd certainly be worried about them.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,372 ✭✭✭✭ MJohnston
    Registered User


    What with the failure of the austerity approach last time around, and government borrowing being at some of the cheapest levels in history, you'd have to hope they would instead take the approach of building out the kind of infrastructure that will be necessary to recover from any recession. But then never bet on the wisdom of centrists.


  • Registered Users Posts: 26,285 ✭✭✭✭ Eric Cartman
    Banned


    bk wrote: »
    3bn Coronavirus aid package in itself, no, that was money that had set aside for Brexit issues, so wouldn't directly impact infrastructure project.

    However the broader picture of Coronavirus drawing out and triggering a global recession could certainly impact infrastructure projects. Infrastructure projects are always the first to be impacted in a recession here unfortunately.

    Having said that, it depends on how bad the virus is, how long it sticks around and how deep and long the recession is. Previous infection triggered recessions were typically short and the global economy rebounded quickly after. If that is the case again, then I'd expect no or only a minor delay to such projects.

    On the other hand if if it drags out and a recession deepens, then I'd certainly be worried about them.

    Which is probably the worst thing to do , prioritising infrastructure development during recessions is the easiest way to keep a country ticking over and take maximum advantage of lower land and construction costs.


  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 13,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭ ednwireland
    Moderator


    dont worry the recession that follows this will kill it stone dead


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭ landofthetree
    Registered User


    The problem is nobody will protest or go on strike when it cancelled. Plus it's not like there is pressure like there was to build the children's hospital.

    It will be abandoned asap in a downturn.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭ landofthetree
    Registered User


    Which is probably the worst thing to do , prioritising infrastructure development during recessions is the easiest way to keep a country ticking over and take maximum advantage of lower land and construction costs.

    Exactly. Look at how well the Luas project went during the recession.

    "The most astonishing aspect of Luas Cross City is that, at €368 million, it is on budget, even slightly under its original €370 million price tag."


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭ Harpon


    bk wrote: »
    3bn Coronavirus aid package in itself, no, that was money that had set aside for Brexit issues, so wouldn't directly impact infrastructure project.
    .

    Yes but they will have to replenish the brexit fund from somewhere


  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 21,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭ bk
    Moderator


    Which is probably the worst thing to do , prioritising infrastructure development during recessions is the easiest way to keep a country ticking over and take maximum advantage of lower land and construction costs.

    I agree completely, counter cyclical policy that you find in Germany, etc.

    We've never done that in the past unfortunately. Hopefully this time it will be different. One small thing, the last recession hit Ireland directly pretty badly. We were right in the middle of it. This one may not hit us as directly and as personally. But that is all to be seen yet.
    Harpon wrote: »
    Yes but they will have to replenish the brexit fund from somewhere

    I get the impression that they feel the biggest Brexit dangers and uncertainty have past and perhaps such a big fund isn't needed now. With Britain now facing into a recession on it's own and needing to work closely with it's EU neighbours to fight this pandemic, I think there is a general feeling that it will soften their Brexit demands.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭ Idbatterim
    Registered User


    can they get out of the IDIOTIC NBP?


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ Lord Glentoran


    Idbatterim wrote: »
    Who knows! The nbp going ahead was idiotic. With the current situation, it’s a total disgrace. There is no comparison between it and the importance of DU or DM for example. If the **** hits the fan again, I’d way prefer projects like this to be going ahead , than squandered on sustaining outrageous welfare etc

    Any fugging excuse is all it needs to effectively cancel any project


Advertisement