Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance - ripping off existing customers

Options
  • 11-03-2020 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

I received my car insurance renewal from FBD yesterday. I paid €456 last year and this year's renewal is €500. I haven't had a claim since 1990, I have no penalty points, and I am the only driver on the policy. The car (Qashqai) is 9 years old, and only worth about €5,000. So why the hell has my insurance gone up when reports say that insurance costs are dropping?

Well bearing in mind the good work done by Pearse Doherty of Sinn Fein (I've no party allegiances but at least he does something useful, unlike the other useless ba$tards in the dail) in bringing to light the insurance industry practice of giving cheap deals to new customers while ramping up quotes for existing customers, I went online yesterday and did a trawl of insurance companies for quotes. Of the 9 quotes I received, 2 were higher than FBD while the rest were cheaper, up to €140 cheaper in one case. So I then checked FBD's own website and sought a quote online as a new customer. Bearing in mind my FBD renewal was €500, which was €44 higher than last year, what did I get quoted online by FBD? €407, almost a hundred euro cheaper than the renewal they posted to my house. So despite the insurance industry getting a good grilling from Doherty last month, they're still trying to rip off existing customers who might not have the good sense to shop around, or even to seek a fresh quote from their existing insurance provider.

So do I bother phoning FBD to have a good rant at some poor sod who only works there and isn't responsible for this price gouging, or just say screw you FBD and go elsewhere seeing as I got three cheaper quotes than this anyway?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

The person on the end of the phone doesn't care, just take your business somewhere else.

Liberty did similar with me, renewal quote was €1700 and because I've an open claim against another driver no other companies would quote me.

I got a new quote from Liberty with no mention of my open claim and it was about €600, rang them up and asked if they were penalizing me for my open claim and they said they weren't, so I asked why my renewal was so high. They couldn't answer and honoured the lower quote.

I don't know why anyone expects any loyalty or fairness from insurance companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

I don't expect anything from them but after they were hauled across the coals on tv by Doherty, I would have thought they'd cop on and start charging everyone the same, ie new customers and existing. Looks like the Irish business model of ripping off customers will never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,284 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is pretty much the norm; although weirdly this year I got a slightly cheaper quote by post than the website, and then by delaying renewing until nearly the end got sent another 5% off code - this was with Liberty.

There's no loyalty from the insurers so just shop around and be willing to move annually.

This applies in other countries too, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

The person on the end of the phone doesn't care, just take your business somewhere else.

Liberty did similar with me, renewal quote was €1700 and because I've an open claim against another driver no other companies would quote me.

I got a new quote from Liberty with no mention of my open claim and it was about €600, rang them up and asked if they were penalizing me for my open claim and they said they weren't, so I asked why my renewal was so high. They couldn't answer and honoured the lower quote.

I don't know why anyone expects any loyalty or fairness from insurance companies.

This happened to me also - renewal was 500 quid more than a new quote rang and asked them about the difference in each they couldnt give me one - so they gave me lower quote. Robbing bastards.

D13exile wrote: »
    I don't expect anything from them but after they were hauled across the coals on tv by Doherty, I would have thought they'd cop on and start charging everyone the same, ie new customers and existing. Looks like the Irish business model of ripping off customers will never change.

Well you seem to expect something.

If you have 3 cheaper quotes then what does it matter what the renewal or new quote is? You should be taking your business elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Well Liberty quoted me €511, so they aren't the cheapest anyway. At my age, I can shop around them all but sooner or later (probably sooner), they'll tell me they're loading me because of my age. Last year when I queried why my insurance had gone up, I was told it was because my car was old. I said what has that got to do with anything? If it was written off, it'd cost them less to pay out than if I was driving an new car. They had no answer to that.

Well you seem to expect something.

If you have 3 cheaper quotes then what does it matter what the renewal or new quote is? You should be taking your business elsewhere.

I am expecting that if they get called out on their "practices" of gouging existing customers, they'd pull their horns in and correct their ways. You apparently believe that nothing should ever change and we should accept this as the norm.

And yes, damn right I'll be taking my business elsewhere, even if FBD offered to match the lowest quote I got.

I am expecting that if they get called out on their "practices" of gouging existing customers, they'd pull their horns in and correct their ways. You apparently believe that nothing should ever change and we should accept this as the norm.

And yes, damn right I'll be taking my business elsewhere, even if FBD offered to match the lowest quote I got.

A few awkward questions from an opposition TD won’t make a blind bit of difference and it’s naive to think it would.

All you can do is shop around, same as for any other purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Well Liberty quoted me €511, so they aren't the cheapest anyway. At my age, I can shop around them all but sooner or later (probably sooner), they'll tell me they're loading me because of my age. Last year when I queried why my insurance had gone up, I was told it was because my car was old. I said what has that got to do with anything? If it was written off, it'd cost them less to pay out than if I was driving an new car. They had no answer to that.

A car being written off is the least of an insurance company's worries. Older cars have less safety features, so if there was an accident the potential claims would be higher.
    and yes, once you get over 65, you will find age will come into it.

You'll also find that one company that is expensive this year, might be the cheapest next year.

In insurance of all types its about managing the risk profile of your book. The same as bookies will do on a racecourse.

If they have a lot of 50-55 year old males in north Dublin, they will decided that they don't want more, so north Dublin gets a loading. Similarly if they find they have very few 25-30 year olds, they will look at incentives for this group until such time they fill a quota.

Many will also give reduced premiums if you have a spouse on the policy too - aig will take 20% off in that case. Seems if you are in a stable relationship, you are safer.

Its simple swings and roundabouts.

You can also take some of the risk yourself and ask for a higher excess - I always go for €750 additional excess (so €1050 in total as standard excess is €300) It knocks about €60 off the premium

btw €500 is not too bad - but try AIG, i'm a touch over €400 with them.

A few awkward questions from an opposition TD won’t make a blind bit of difference and it’s naive to think it would.

All you can do is shop around, same as for any other purchase.

God you are so cynical my friend. Do you not believe in calling out people/business on sharp practices? If you went to a restaurant and had a crap meal handed up to you with lousy service, would you complain or just shut up, pay up and walk out saying "I'll never go back"? That is the typical Irish way which is why nothing ever changes in this country. Perhaps if people called out businesses on price gouging, bad service etc, things might change? Isn't this forum here for that very reason? If i get good service, I thank the business and return to them. If I get lousy service, I complain. Sometimes, it works and things get resolved. Sometimes it doesn't and I take my business elsewhere. I work hard for my money and I expect to get value for it when I spend it whether on goods or services. But I know I'm in the minority.

• Advertisement

silver2020 wrote: »
    A car being written off is the least of an insurance company's worries. Older cars have less safety features, so if there was an accident the potential claims would be higher.
    and yes, once you get over 65, you will find age will come into it.

You'll also find that one company that is expensive this year, might be the cheapest next year.

In insurance of all types its about managing the risk profile of your book. The same as bookies will do on a racecourse.

If they have a lot of 50-55 year old males in north Dublin, they will decided that they don't want more, so north Dublin gets a loading. Similarly if they find they have very few 25-30 year olds, they will look at incentives for this group until such time they fill a quota.

Many will also give reduced premiums if you have a spouse on the policy too - aig will take 20% off in that case. Seems if you are in a stable relationship, you are safer.

Its simple swings and roundabouts.

You can also take some of the risk yourself and ask for a higher excess - I always go for €750 additional excess (so €1050 in total as standard excess is €300) It knocks about €60 off the premium

btw €500 is not too bad - but try AIG, i'm a touch over €400 with them.

I'm 50, full licence, no claims in 30 years and no penalty points. I would have thought I'm in the low risk category. From some of the quotes I received, I did wonder how they come up with their pricing. I got quoted from €360 up to €688 all on the same details, and like you I always go for the highest excess on the policy.

As for the spouse on the policy, I tried that and in every case it increased the quote.

Aig were the second lowest quote I received and being a Dub, I'd be inclined to go with them as they are Dublin's sponsors:D

God you are so cynical my friend. Do you not believe in calling out people/business on sharp practices? If you went to a restaurant and had a crap meal handed up to you with lousy service, would you complain or just shut up, pay up and walk out saying "I'll never go back"? That is the typical Irish way which is why nothing ever changes in this country. Perhaps if people called out businesses on price gouging, bad service etc, things might change? Isn't this forum here for that very reason? If i get good service, I thank the business and return to them. If I get lousy service, I complain. Sometimes, it works and things get resolved. Sometimes it doesn't and I take my business elsewhere. I work hard for my money and I expect to get value for it when I spend it whether on goods or services. But I know I'm in the minority.

It's not cynical to know that the sales person in FBD or Liberty or wherever doesn't give 2 flying monkeys about my reasons for leaving whereas the owner/manager (or whomever) of my local restaurant will, there's a time, a place and a method to complain and it differs depending on the situation.

And, do you know what, those people too lazy or stupid to shop around every year help keep my premium down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You're dead right D13, we shouldn't accept bad service and if we do things won't change.

I got a renewal quote in writing from a company recently for vintage insurance, same situation as yourself no claims, no penalty points in over 30 years driving. I then was cold called by the same company a week or so later. When I questioned why my quote had gone up I was told "Shur it's only 12 euro" I said if 12 euro means so little to you why don't you drop last years premium by 12 euro so?

They had quoted me 165 euro third party but didn't include "charges and fees",
    I asked for the proper third party quote and they wanted more than the price of fully comprehensive.

I requested a transcript of the call under the data protection act and after waiting over a month to get it then made a written complaint to their compliance officer outlining they are obliged by law to quote for third party when they issue a fully comprehensive renewal quote and what they issued me was not a proper quote.

They responded that they have taken my feedback on board and will from now on be improving their correspondence with customers and they are undertaking a review of all documentation which they will be updating in the coming months.

They also offered to waive all charges and fees associated with my next renewal quote.

As is my prerogative I will now raise my concerns and forward all relevant information to the Financial Services and Pensions Ombudsman.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Its not unique to insurance that the good offers go to new customers to entice them to switch.

Same applies to broadband, gas electricity health insurance, etc etc. They know a % of people will just renew without shopping around and operate on the principle they make more of a profit than if they gave everyone their best price off the bat..

There is a responsibility on a consumer to shop around too. If enough people did not renew without shopping around, business practice would change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

When I get my renewal notice I usually ring and ask them if it is their best quote, letting them know I will not ring them again. Then I ring the other companies, cheapest gets the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,973 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

All Insurance companies issue a renewal for higher than a regular policy. A huge amount of people just pay it. If you ring & challenge it you will get 10 to 20 percent off

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I tried One Big Switch earlier for a quote. Was €308. Cheapest I've ever been quoted. That's with It's for Women. Was €355 for some extras like breakdown assist.

There’s no regulation of them so they do what they like. If I could do what I liked without recourse I’d probably rip off everyone too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭corks finest

I received my car insurance renewal from FBD yesterday. I paid €456 last year and this year's renewal is €500. I haven't had a claim since 1990, I have no penalty points, and I am the only driver on the policy. The car (Qashqai) is 9 years old, and only worth about €5,000. So why the hell has my insurance gone up when reports say that insurance costs are dropping?

Well bearing in mind the good work done by Pearse Doherty of Sinn Fein (I've no party allegiances but at least he does something useful, unlike the other useless ba$tards in the dail) in bringing to light the insurance industry practice of giving cheap deals to new customers while ramping up quotes for existing customers, I went online yesterday and did a trawl of insurance companies for quotes. Of the 9 quotes I received, 2 were higher than FBD while the rest were cheaper, up to €140 cheaper in one case. So I then checked FBD's own website and sought a quote online as a new customer. Bearing in mind my FBD renewal was €500, which was €44 higher than last year, what did I get quoted online by FBD? €407, almost a hundred euro cheaper than the renewal they posted to my house. So despite the insurance industry getting a good grilling from Doherty last month, they're still trying to rip off existing customers who might not have the good sense to shop around, or even to seek a fresh quote from their existing insurance provider.

So do I bother phoning FBD to have a good rant at some poor sod who only works there and isn't responsible for this price gouging, or just say screw you FBD and go elsewhere seeing as I got three cheaper quotes than this anyway?

They're gangster's end of

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Loyalty means nothing to companies any more.

Why new customers should benefit over customers who have been with a company for years is at the most basic level, unfair.

As a business model, it stinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,325 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

All the talk of P Doherty hauling them over the coals is horse sh1t. He caught one chap on the hop and that guy didnt manage to come up with a coherent answer to a pretty basic question. A half awake insurance representative would have batted away his questions. Doherty is not the messiah.

mickdw wrote: »
    All the talk of P Doherty hauling them over the coals is horse sh1t. He caught one chap on the hop and that guy didnt manage to come up with a coherent answer to a pretty basic question. A half awake insurance representative would have batted away his questions. Doherty is not the messiah.

They were caught lying about figures. The problem is our attitude is to complain a bit, maybe post a facebook link, and then quietly go back to being rode.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,666 ✭✭✭corks finest

mickdw wrote: »

He did more in a few minutes than FF/FG did in 30 years

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

There’s no regulation of them so they do what they like. If I could do what I liked without recourse I’d probably rip off everyone too.

Absolute trumpism, if you looked into it, they are highly regulated. They have plenty of Central Bank regulations like the consumer protection code, GDPR, solvency 2, regulations like the road traffic act, as well as plenty more to adhere to.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Bottom line is - no matter what quote you receive always shop around and see can you get a better price.

Triangle wrote: »
    Absolute trumpism, if you looked into it, they are highly regulated. They have plenty of Central Bank regulations like the consumer protection code, GDPR, solvency 2, regulations like the road traffic act, as well as plenty more to adhere to.

If you read this thread you'd see the regulations are not being adhered to.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

He did more in a few minutes than FF/FG did in 30 years

He sure did and he got the truth exposed by doing his homework and acting without fear or favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

You need to shop around every year. Ringing them is nearly always better than online.

You should have no loyalty to an insurance company...they won't have any to you!

Just like a TV / Electricity service....always shop around each year.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I'm going to agree with one thing being said here, but disagree with another.

First – agree that existing customers might not always get the best deal with the renewal quote sent to them by post. I just got mine a few days ago. Quote was €348 (roughly the same as last year). I did the usual shop around by getting quotes from other companies online, and the cheapest with anybody else was €412. So obviously I’m going to stick with my current insurer.

But then I entered details on their site too and got a quote for €317, thanks to their online discount. Rang them up and they confirmed I could do it that way for that price. So point being that an existing customer might not always get the best price if they don’t get a “new” quote from that insurer anyway.

BUT – as regards loyalty – the price breakdown of my quote shows a customer loyalty discount of €81 since I’ve been with the same crowd for a few years now (and yes, I always shop around, and yes, they’re always the cheapest). Large part of why they’re the cheapest is this loyalty discount. So I have to disagree with the people here who claim that insurance companies will show no loyalty to you.

Incidentally, I also have my home insurance with the same company. Again, it’s the cheapest I could find for home insurance. And because I’ve got both car and home with them, I qualify for free annual multi-trip travel insurance for my family, that would cost me about €90 if I had to pay for it myself.

I must be just one of the lucky ones…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

If you read this thread you'd see the regulations are not being adhered to.

Maybe I missed it, but there's no regulation on renewal premiums and any breaches of the regulation leads to sanctions from the central bank or financial ombudsman.

But I was replying to someone, whom you seemed to have missed, saying there is no regulation.

Advertisement