Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hernia

Options
  • 11-03-2020 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to detect a hernia with a regular x-ray?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Seanachai wrote: »
    Is it possible to detect a hernia with a regular x-ray?

Not usually, no. Ultrasound or CT would generally be the investigations of choice.

I hope I’m not contravening the charter here, apologies if I am mods, please snip.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Mod note
    Unless you are giving someone specific advice personal to their treatment it should be ok.
    Discussing how hernia are diagnosed is absolutely fine.
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Sometimes a hernia won't show up in a scan. If you have an umbilical hernia (hernia at belly button), it might resolve itself when you're lying down. CT/Ultrasounds scans are done with the patient lying down, so the scan might be normal when in fact there is an issue.

Advertisement