Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we proceed with renovation work?

Options
  • 11-03-2020 8:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

We are due to commence a 5 week renovation project in our house in the beginning of April in Dublin. We have to move out of the house for the duration of the job as the builders have told us.

Given all the talk regarding the virus, I'm mulling over the potential of not proceeding. We can't afford work to just suddenly stop in the middle as we need to live in the property. It's also a significant expense to undertake and given all the recent warning signs about the economy, it's made me think twice. I understand there are a lot of unknowns (I.e. will there be country wide lock downs, how will it affect us) but I'd love to hear some thoughts as to what you would do in this scenario?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

What scale are the works? Is building work involved or is it all decorative ?

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

Idbatterim wrote: »
    What scale are the works? Is building work involved or is it all decorative ?

About 3 weeks of building work + rewiring. Rest is space for decorating and kitchen etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Tricky one. If you are having to rent somewhere in the mean time , it becomes riskier. A bit less so if you are staying with family , a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well here's the thing like it or not.

These lads would be self employed and therefore turn up regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

sternn wrote: »
    We are due to commence a 5 week renovation project in our house in the beginning of April in Dublin. We have to move out of the house for the duration of the job as the builders have told us.

Given all the talk regarding the virus, I'm mulling over the potential of not proceeding. We can't afford work to just suddenly stop in the middle as we need to live in the property. It's also a significant expense to undertake and given all the recent warning signs about the economy, it's made me think twice. I understand there are a lot of unknowns (I.e. will there be country wide lock downs, how will it affect us) but I'd love to hear some thoughts as to what you would do in this scenario?

What's in your contract about canceling at short notice? The builders might need to be paid even if you do cancel, then you'll need to pay them again when they do the work if you can get them

• Advertisement
Advertisement