Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11-30 cassette on short cage derailleur

Options
  • 10-03-2020 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭

Seems to to be the case just looking for real world confirmation that Shimano short cage derailleur (dura ace 9000) can accommodate 11-30 cassette?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭JMcL

That link is for MTB components, this is the one for rear road drivetrain: https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/com?cid=C-453&acid=C-454

Shimano have a reputation for being quite conservative with their compatibility lists. I'm considering the same for a 105 short cage (which may well have a bit more wriggle room than DA) Road.cc had a play with various non-sanctioned combinations a while back, albeit with gravel gearing in mind. It makes for interesting reading however and might give you a bit more insight https://road.cc/content/feature/246424-how-get-ultra-low-gearing-gravel-bike-adventures

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Having previously researched this...yes it will be fine. You may have to screw in the B-screw a little more for clearance but it’ll shift and work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Thanks all.
    I’ll give it a lash!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

JMcL wrote: »
    That link is for MTB components

Don't know what I did wrong there as I was looking at a DA list when I thought I copied. I'll just blame my crappy laptop. Sorry about that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Alanbt wrote: »
    Seems to to be the case just looking for real world confirmation that Shimano short cage derailleur (dura ace 9000) can accommodate 11-30 cassette?
    Thanks

I run a 10s 12-30 on an SS cage with no issues. I didn't even have to mess with the B screw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Thanks all will order and fit before Orwell Randonee. Feel I’ll need the 30 cog a fair bit, due to me being badly out of shape!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

JMcL wrote: »
    ...Shimano have a reputation for being quite conservative..
    Bike shops too. A few years ago my LBS said that, while it will appear to fit, there is a danger that if the chain is on the largest sprocket combined with the big ring up front, the stress could rip the RD off. I don't really understand why. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Bike shops too. A few years ago my LBS said that, while it will appear to fit, there is a danger that if the chain is on the largest sprocket combined with the big ring up front, the stress could rip the RD off. I don't really understand why. :confused:

When you use a RD beyond it's capacity you can pick a chain length which is taught in small/small and consequently at it's very limit in big big.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

When you use a RD beyond it's capacity you can pick a chain length which is taught in small/small and consequently at it's very limit in big big.
    Yes, but where an appropriate length of chain is used, I can't see how it could suddenly without warning stress the RD if it had already worked up to that point. I should have clarified that the mechanic said that I could be in the middle of Wicklow and it could rip off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement