Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Dublin City Pub for Liverpool match

Options
  • 10-03-2020 8:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Sorry all for posting this on here - I was struggling to see where else to put it from searching threads.

I’ve a friend down here from Donegal tomorrow night who’s a massive Liverpool fan . Not sure where to bring him with a good atmosphere and something to eat to watch the Liverpool Atletico Madrid game at 7:45pm.

I live in royal canal park in D15. Halfway house on Navan Road would be my usual port of call. Might be a bit dead for him as it’s full of old men from cabra in having a quiet pint.
    If I’m looking for somewhere livelier I usually head on into stoneybatter or Smithfield but wouldn’t be sure there!

Thanks in advance. I’m only living in Dublin a while myself so can’t even ask a friend!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭hynesie08

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Sorry all for posting this on here - I was struggling to see where else to put it from searching threads.

I’ve a friend down here from Donegal tomorrow night who’s a massive Liverpool fan . Not sure where to bring him with a good atmosphere and something to eat to watch the Liverpool Atletico Madrid game at 7:45pm.

I live in royal canal park in D15. Halfway house on Navan Road would be my usual port of call. Might be a bit dead for him as it’s full of old men from cabra in having a quiet pint.
    If I’m looking for somewhere livelier I usually head on into stoneybatter or Smithfield but wouldn’t be sure there!

Thanks in advance. I’m only living in Dublin a while myself so can’t even ask a friend!

Woolshed on parnell St or the living room off O'Connell St for atmosphere, the camden on Camden St if you just want the biggest TV in the city...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

hynesie08 wrote: »
    Woolshed on parnell St or the living room off O'Connell St for atmosphere, the camden on Camden St if you just want the biggest TV in the city...

Thanks a mill. ! Wee bit of a travel on in than I’d have liked, will just get a taxi there and back. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Might be a bit dead for him as it’s full of old men from cabra in having a quiet pint.

Old men from Cabra, drink in The Homestead and McGraths, which are actually in Cabra! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

You could try De Brúns in Castleknock, I've watched a few matches there, not bad and serves food.

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Old men from Cabra, drink in The Homestead and McGraths, which are actually in Cabra! :D

Never heard of Homestead until I searched it on google there now! 😂 is McGrath’s not in drumcondra just down from Quinns?

• Advertisement

I googled “Liverpool friendly pubs in Dublin” and got the already mentioned Woolshed along with the Trinity Bar Dame St and Synnotts under the Stephens Green Shopping Centre.

You could try De Brúns in Castleknock, I've watched a few matches there, not bad and serves food.

Hmm thanks. De Brun’s is OK. When I first moved down here I lived in Phoenix park racecourse for a year. Gave castleknock loads of chances but jaysus there isn’t a bit of life about it.

The carpenter seems ok but nothing around it. Myo’s is a joke. Entered it with the girlfriend one evening and it was full of older snobs who probably only watch rugby.
    De Brun’s is grand but a very very small front bar. The best out of them though! Friendly staff. Just very clicky around there

I googled “Liverpool friendly pubs in Dublin” and got the already mentioned Woolshed along with the Trinity Bar Dame St and Synnotts under the Stephens Green Shopping Centre.

Thanks Pat. He’s a good friend but I wouldn’t be willing to venture into the city that far over the bridge with him on a Wednesday night. Mind you were both in our 20s but I couldn’t face work with a late one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

The Clonsilla Inn had a Liverpool Flag flying out the front for a few months late last year.

As a fan of the blue team in Liverpool it annoyed me every time I drove by it!

Can't really say what the put is like inside though, I've never been in it.

It would be on the train line as the halfway house so may be beneficial

Never heard of Homestead until I searched it on google there now! �� is McGrath’s not in drumcondra just down from Quinns?

I would guess you’re not from this side of Dublin, let alone Dublin, as your knowledge of the area is fairly sketchy.
    The Halfway House is located in Ashtown, on the Navan Road. Cabra ends at the Garda Station and Nephin Road, 2 KLM’s east.
    Comiskeys, Baggot Road, The Hole in the Wall, Blackhorse Ave, nor The Breffni, Ashtown Grove would ever consider themselves in Cabra, nor would the locals of those areas for that matter.
    As Dublin is a relatively big place by Irish standards you’ll find that there are quite a number of pubs with the same name throughout the city and suburbs.
    The McGraths, I refer is located on Fassaugh Ave, Cabra, it’s very much a locals Local. There are several other drinking emporiums in Cabra as well which I have not, nor won’t mention. :D
    The suburban pub scene in Dublin is fairly limited and it’s hay day was back in the 80’s and 90’s. Any of the pubs you have mentioned or I’ve mentioned would have be rammed for matches any night of the week, back then. Most people go for something to eat rather than drink in their Local Pub nowadays.
    Quite simply the Dublin suburban Pubs have priced themselves out of the market. With most people now happy to go to the Off Licence or Supermarket and bring a few beers home and watch it on their own Telly.

• Advertisement

I would guess you’re not from this side of Dublin, let alone Dublin, as your knowledge of the area is fairly sketchy.
    The Halfway House is located in Ashtown, on the Navan Road. Cabra ends at the Garda Station and Nephin Road, 2 KLM’s east.
    Comiskeys, Baggot Road, The Hole in the Wall, Blackhorse Ave, nor The Breffni, Ashtown Grove would ever consider themselves in Cabra, nor would the locals of those areas for that matter.
    As Dublin is a relatively big place by Irish standards you’ll find that there are quite a number of pubs with the same name throughout the city and suburbs.
    The McGraths, I refer is located on Fassaugh Ave, Cabra, it’s very much a locals Local. There are several other drinking emporiums in Cabra as well which I have not, nor won’t mention. :D
    The suburban pub scene in Dublin is fairly limited and it’s hay day was back in the 80’s and 90’s. Any of the pubs you have mentioned or I’ve mentioned would have be rammed for matches any night of the week, back then. Most people go for something to eat rather than drink in their Local Pub nowadays.
    Quite simply the Dublin suburban Pubs have priced themselves out of the market. With most people now happy to go to the Off Licence or Supermarket and bring a few beers home and watch it on their own Telly.

I’m not. I’m a Nordie ! Croke park used to be the height of my Dublin knowledge before I moved down here.

That’s very interesting Pat. Personally hate drinking in the house myself, never ever do it. Nothing better than getting into the pub for a good pint on draught. You’re right though, the odd time I’d go into Walsh’s in stoneybatter, or the Gravediggers (although it’s very touristy) the local pub scene is quite quiet. Halfway house seems busy from a few midweek nights I’ve been in.

I had a few relatives lived and worked down here in the Celtic tiger and they said the pubs were hopping most nights of the week even out clonee /Meath direction.
    Didn’t realise branding ashtown locals as Cabra was an offence!! Not fond of hole in the wall or comiskeys from a few visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭raheny red

Anywhere that'll have a racing crowd in from Cheltenham carrying on for the match.....

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Codpeas

Since the Canal Bar in Ashtown is closed for refurb the crowd in the bar in the Halfway has temporarily changed a bit so might not be as 'dead' as you would expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

The Bell in Blanchardstown is a good spot for matches, they really make an effort for larger events. For one like this the bar would be best.

AlanG wrote: »
    The Bell in Blanchardstown is a good spot for matches, they really make an effort for larger events. For one like this the bar would be best.

Cheers to all

Advertisement