Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orbital orientation vs hemispherical differences

Options
  • 10-03-2020 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

This topic deserves a separate thread as, in terms of orbital motion, hemispherical inversion is either ignored or is an obstacle.

In respect to the seasonal transition of the stars from and evening to morning appearance or from left to right of the Sun as we interpret it from the perspective of orbital motion, the inversion of constellations is irrelevant as, in terms of Orion and Sirius, the bright star will be the last to enter the Sun's glare at twilight and the last to appear as a dawn appearance a number of weeks later regardless of hemisphere.

It becomes more important when considering the central and stationary Sun in orbital terms insofar as the same conditions apply and why priority is given to the perspective where the stars change position from left to right of the Sun and parallel to the orbital plane thereby fixing the Sun's North and South poles for inspection in those terms.

https://www.usap.gov/videoclipsandmaps/spwebcam.cfm

In the absence of daily rotation, the Sun tracks from right to left at the South pole and from left to right at the North pole. This is a function of the orbital motion of the Earth so even if it represents an inversion of the Sun's North and South poles from an observational perspective, it also forces the observer to limit the perspective whereas presently no such distinction is made. In short, it is introducing an orbital perspective without consideration of hemispherical distinctions. The Southern observer sees the Sun's North pole as its South so it is necessary to limit this perspective to a common template for people in both hemispheres.

The Earth rotates West to East as a function of daily rotation regardless of hemisphere, however, the observation at the North/South poles drawn from the orbital surface rotation to the Sun is more subtle as it represents a fact that in the absence of daily rotation, there is still a single day/night cycle that is appreciated in isolation at the North/South polar latitudes.

When Polar sunrise occurs in a number of days for the one and only time this year at the North pole, the Sun will track from left to right -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOCCSegL8ic

Presently, as Polar sunset is approaching at the South pole, the Sun tracks from right to left -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPXaLTjmypY

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

And the overall point of that meandering diatribe is what exactly?

I know that the Earth rotates, the earth moves around the sun. and various parallax effects are observed, and that right and left are swapped when the observer is upside down as is expected from the most basic of geometry visualisations.

Am I missing something in this?

Or, as is much more likely, is the previous poster still exceptionally confused about basic geometry?

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭oriel36

Popoutman wrote: »

I know that the Earth rotates, the earth moves around the sun. and various parallax effects are observed, and that right and left are swapped when the observer is upside down as is expected from the most basic of geometry visualisations.

You are plain inconsiderate which is why the other poster is so informative despite our differences.

Parallax is gone and never to be seen again conceptually, the transition of the stars from an evening to morning appearance or from left to right of the central/stationary Sun takes its place thereby fixing the reference for what is the North and South poles of the Sun and the other planets.

https://sol24.net/data/html/SOHO/C3/96H/VIDEO/

So no, when considering the structure of the solar system from an orbital perspective of our planets and all others, the North/South orientation of the planets and the Sun must be common and not subject to hemispherical distinctions. If Sirius enters to the left of the Sun's central glare after the stars of Orion then it will appear to the right after Orion's stars regardless of which hemisphere these events are observed. It means dropping the notion of upside down constellations and treating stars individually for many, many purposes.

The last thing this forum needs is a whiner who has no intention of inspecting current issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

And that poster is back on ignore.
    Those posts from them of what is effectively meaningless wandering-point word salad really has no place in this scientific-based forum. There's no ability being exhibited by the above poster to have a genuine *and rational* discussion on any topics they've been involved in, and their viewpoints are not changeable by receiving sane and reasons rebuttals. I'm bowing out of any more responses to this poster, as I'd be better served by beating my head against a nice padded desk than continue any attempts to have a rational discussion here with them.

My suggestions to the normal people who also end up trying and failing to get this poster to see any form of reality, should do similar and not react or post, as it only seems to encourage the digital diarrhea previously exhibited by the above poster over the past few months on this forum.

No doubt there will be another post from that poster without a concise point and missing the point completely below this post, based on previous performance.
    I'm choosing to ignore them, for my own sanity. Life's too short to be dragged down to their level and for them to beat me with their experience at that level. I'd suggest that most people should do the same, and eventually the above poster will stop diluting this forum with the whackery previously shown, and we can get back to this forum's version of normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

exhibited by the above poster over the past few months on this forum.

Months? He's been at it for donkey's years under a variety of handles.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭oriel36

Don't read or reply to these posts - it is that simple.

From 30 years experience, people are too radicalised to inspect and interpret basic imaging which doesn't involved the crap notion of parallax.

https://sol24.net/data/html/SOHO/C3/96H/VIDEO/

To hear the whining and moaning in a forum that doesn't see any traffic bar a few images here and there. If people can't understand the new demonstration of the Earth's orbital motion in that time lapse then they are no better or worse than those who moaned about the emergence of the motions of the Earth in a Sun centred system.

The stars do change position from left to right of the Sun or from an evening to dawn appearance with no rotational or celestial sphere input. Maybe some day adults will show up although that unnamed contributor is appreciated for his technical objections. Agree or disagree but the whining and moaning of the mediocre is best left unspoken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ps200306

Am I missing something in this?
    Let's just think about that for a second ...

Nope. I think you pretty much nailed it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭endacl

oriel36 wrote: »
    This topic

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

ok, wait...

what EXACTLY is it you are saying? the sun is stationary, the earth moves (rotates and orbits), the stars move, the sun is absolute?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

oriel36 wrote: »
    This topic deserves a separate thread

No it does not, If you create yet another of these threads on this topic you will receive a ban without warning.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement