Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic POE switch layout input

Options
  • 10-03-2020 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭

I've got some networking equipment (AP and 48 port POE switch) which I'm trying to set up at home but am not having much luck - I'm probably missing something obvious, see layout below:
    505158.PNG

I'm not getting power to the AP (don't have a POE injector, trying to use the Netgear to power but have it set to POE)
    The switch is showing as connected on Ethernet through the eir modem backend but I'm not getting a IP assigned to it (when looking at DHCP leases)
    It also works as a standard hub when I disconnect Wifi and connect direct to the switch through ethernet.
    Netgear discovery tool not finding anything.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Have you reset it to factory defaults? I guess it was in use and might/would be set with static IP and its outside your range.
    https://kb.netgear.com/24679/How-do-I-reset-a-smart-switch-to-factory-default-settings

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If its the POE model, first 24 ports are POE enabled.
    The original Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-LR was Passive POE only, which is a non-standard version of POE and would require a adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭flashforward

After repeating the factory reset the netgear is now assigned an IP so that issue is solved.

Re. the UAP I'm not sure if this is an old or new model?:

505196.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its the older model, passive poe only.

Its cheaper to just buy a injector then a adapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭KildareP

That Unifi model is Passive PoE (PPoE) which is 24V.
    The Netgear is a PoE switch which is 48V and won't recognise that your Unifi is looking for power.

You will need the inline adapter INS-3AF-I-G to drop it from 48V to 24V if you really want to use the switch to provide power.

Otherwise you'll need to go with inline power brick that comes with the single pack of Unifi kit but not the 5 packs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭flashforward

Yes the AP came with an injector but the lead had a 2 pin plug. I used the lead off the TV but I'm getting no power to it....

Advertisement