Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How Cheap Can You Go Right Now?

Options
  • 09-03-2020 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,884 ✭✭✭✭

Just out of curiosity what's the lowest price you could pay to get an electric car on the road as a daily driver in Ireland right now? I think there was an okay looking Leaf for 8k on DD a while back?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Below 5k if you're happy with either a battery lease Zoe or a leaf that's down to 10 or 9 bars

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

In the last few months there were a Mitsubishi i-MiEV and a Nissan Leaf (with Jap display) on DoneDeal both with an asking price of €3,500. Both were presumably bought for around the €3k mark. There is your answer. That's as cheap as it possibly gets to buy an EV. And don't even think about buying one with monthly lease payments. They are a fool's errand if your goal it to get the cheapest possible total cost of ownership even though you might be able to pick up a Renault Fluence ZE in the UK for around the GBP1,500 mark

• Registered Users Posts: 17,884 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

unkel wrote: »
    In the last few months there were a Mitsubishi i-MiEV and a Nissan Leaf (with Jap display) on DoneDeal both with an asking price of €3,500. Both were presumably bought for around the €3k mark. There is your answer. That's as cheap as it possibly gets to buy an EV. And don't even think about buying one with monthly lease payments. They are a fool's errand if your goal it to get the cheapest possible total cost of ownership even though you might be able to pick up a Renault Fluence ZE in the UK for around the GBP1,500 mark
    Wow thats nothing, very interesting. Must admit Ive been reading about electric cars daily for years and thats the first time I ever heard of that Mitsubishi.

There's not much point wasting your time reading up a lot more about the i-MiEV though :p

If your budget is really tight, hold out for an early Leaf (2011/2012). It will have a very good spec, but a cheap high miler will have significant battery degradation. Real life range down to maybe 60-70km (at best, not motorway, not winter). Yours likely for around the €4-€4.5k if you look closely for a month or two.

Or if you can up your budget to about €9k you can have a much improved (battery wise) 2014 Leaf which will have a real life range of 100km (at best, not motorway, not winter)

I don't have any budget constraints really within reason its just looking like I might be sent to another of our sites in Blanchardstown for a few months and I was wondering if I could go electric for a while then sell it on again. There do seem to be a few options alright, wonder what things will be like in 5 years time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Can't see how a car that has a guaranteed range of 50 to 60km would be worth buying for a few months!??

The fuel costs would be fairly low..

50-60km would be done on my roadbike, Id be looking for a bit more than that otherwise not worth the bother. Will the range really be that bad on the prices being discussed here?

Eh, yes. I'm not sure where you have been reading about EVs every day for the last few years, but it clearly wasn't on this forum on boards :p

Advertisement