Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking for a new car - what to get

Options
  • 09-03-2020 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,755 ✭✭✭✭

PCP on my current car is up at the end of august and im minded to change it rather than keep. its a mercedes GLC which has been nice but we need a bit more space now.

We have two small kids in car seats, ideally we would have space for someone to sit between them even for a short trip, as things stand at the moment we cant take anyone extra if the four of us are in the car.

7 seater would be ideal but a lot of the hybrid jeeps dont have the option because of the battery.

Was originally going to go for a RR velar but im having second thoughts about a diesel.

Id goto 70k for something but im not sure what, id rather whatever it was was a current model not superceded.

any ideas for me?

any news on the lower range audi e tron?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

A bit of a left of field, expensive option but interesting is this company https://www.multimac.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,755 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

graememk wrote: »
    A bit of a left of field, expensive option but interesting is this company https://www.multimac.com/

yes absolutely

but thats kids only, still handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Model X, you'd import 7 seater from the UK for less than 70k all in

i like the model x, but given the private sale market died here id need to trade the glc.

also can somone explain the BIK on an EV to me, could be an option,

If say the Etron 50 is 65k here after grants, is it 15k id pay BIK on or the pre grant amt or is it gross of the grant amt?

also when does the 50k BIK relieft run out currently?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

so if etron is 65k after grants, the base price is 75k, so you pay bik on €75k-€50 = €25K. if you have 70K to spend buy a model 3 performance....I got one a few months ago, you won't regret it, PM me if you need a tesla referral code

• Registered Users Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Superb iv or Passat GTE, acres of room especially in the superb. I'm strongly considering either of them for my next purchase.

Cyrus wrote: »
    also can somone explain the BIK on an EV to me, could be an option,

If say the Etron 50 is 65k here after grants, is it 15k id pay BIK on or the pre grant amt or is it gross of the grant amt?

also when does the 50k BIK relieft run out currently?

You pay it on the price excluding grants
    If buying as business the price is 70k after grants, 75k before.
    Therefore it's 75-50 25k BIK

jordan191 wrote: »
    so if etron is 65k after grants, the base price is 75k, so you pay bik on €75k-€50 = €25K. if you have 70K to spend buy a model 3 performance....I got one a few months ago, you won't regret it, PM me if you need a tesla referral code
    Model 3 doesnt have 7 seats ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

sorry, didn't see the 7 seats requirement!! maybe an X or 7 seater model S from the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You need two kids seats in the back plus occasionally an adult in between them, so not strictly a 7-seater then, just a larger type of 5 seater?
    i like the model x, but given the private sale market died here id need to trade the glc.

Sell it into the trade and take a hit? You'd get raped the same way if you would trade it in for a new car at a main dealer, they just twist the figures a bit to make it look better.

Then as a cash buyer you could bring in a Model S or Model X from the UK

Or trade in your GLC in with Mercedes for an EQC or with Audi for an e-tron?

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    You need two kids seats in the back plus occasionally an adult in between them, so not strictly a 7-seater then, just a larger type of 5 seater?

Sell it into the trade and take a hit? You'd get raped the same way if you would trade it in for a new car at a main dealer, they just twist the figures a bit to make it look better.

Then as a cash buyer you could bring in a Model S or Model X from the UK

Or trade in your GLC in with Mercedes for an EQC or with Audi for an e-tron?

yes you are right on the requirements unkel

eqc is too expensive (unless they are bringing a lower capacity model)

etron 50 could work :D

E tron 50 is very range limited

ELM327 wrote: »
    E tron 50 is very range limited

250km or so?

it would cover almost everything we need it for.

Audi are likely to give you a decent trade in. Go test drive one and see what you think!

Alternatively if you are able to wait another while, you will have more options. Like Tesla Model Y and Ford Mustang Mach‑E

250km or so?

And the times you need more range, the e-tron charges faster for longer than any other EV. Even with just the handful of Ionity chargers we have in Ireland at the moment, you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭markpb

250km or so?

Be wary of trusting EV distance figures. They're very dependent on other things such as outside temperate and battery temperate and of course, your driving style (no different to an ICE). So far my car has averaged 62% efficiency between 0 and 5 degrees, 67% between 5 and 10 and 75% between 10 and 15. I haven't had it long enough to see what it will be like in the summer but it should be much better.

On motorways, it averages around 210-260 Wh/km. Driving in normal traffic around Dublin, this rises to around 320 Wh/km. On a really bad day last week, it was 3 degrees outside and I was stuck in extremely slow traffic, it was over 400.

I'm not saying the eTron isn't for you, just take manufacturers numbers with a pinch of salt when determine if it's suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mrbongo

the e-tron charges faster for longer than any other EV

I thought Tesla Model 3 was ahead of all others for number of miles added per minute of charging? (e.g. etron comparison)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

mrbongo wrote: »
    I thought Tesla Model 3 was ahead of all others for number of miles added per minute of charging? (e.g. etron comparison)

Most Tesla fan's switched to miles per minute instead of max kW when competitors introduced faster-charging speeds.

And the times you need more range, the e-tron charges faster for longer than any other EV. Even with just the handful of Ionity chargers we have in Ireland at the moment, you should be fine.
    Not in terms of range added it doesnt

liamog wrote: »
    Most Tesla fan's switched to miles per minute instead of max kW when competitors introduced faster-charging speeds.
    It's not a fair comparison when the model 3 charges at 150kW to 100kW @80% and gets sub 200wh/km, and the etron sustains 150kW to 90%+ but yet gets 300+wh/km

• Advertisement

Audi e-tron is a competitor to Model X, not to Model 3! There's no way an adult can comfortably sit in between two kids seats in the back of a Model 3, so it's not suitable for the OP.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's not a fair comparison when the model 3 charges at 150kW to 100kW @80% and gets sub 200wh/km, and the etron sustains 150kW to 90%+ but yet gets 300+wh/km

Oh, I agree, however even the distance added per unit of time can be deceptive. We've all seen how the headline charging power is for a much lower portion of the battery on newer cars. Switching the top power for top distance per unit of time doesn't accurately reflect the picture.

Not sure what system would be better though!

I think an average kW should be calculated as follows:

(speed at 10% SOC + speed at 11% SOC ...... + speed at 89% SOC + speed at 90% SOC)/91

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Volvo Xc90 T8....very well designed car, practical, and rapid enough with over 400bhp. Mostly electric only on the school runs. As a family car very hard to beat. My wife has the denzil version and its a nice place to be.

Volvo Xc90 T8....very well designed car, practical, and rapid enough with over 400bhp. Mostly electric only on the school runs. As a family car very hard to beat. My wife has the denzil version and its a nice place to be.

I do agree but I’m thinking that these half way houses are a very temporary thing and probably worthless in the future

I’m most likely totally wrong !

I do agree but I’m thinking that these half way houses are a very temporary thing and probably worthless in the future

I’m most likely totally wrong !

I would find it hard to disagree with you on that....worst of both worlds...or best of both. Only real 7 seat EV option is the model X. Cool car but pricey and could be interesting to own outside Tesla Warranty.,

Etron is not the best battery, performance or technology wise...but its got a nice interior...super expensive to boot.

Model Y is what you want. I will hold out changing the family car till thats out. 2021 I am told they will start to ship to ireland, 70k would get you the fast one. :).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭MarkN

I drove the e-tron in cold weather, motorways etc and the range was very reliable. I also got 50kms-200kms in about 35 mins using a fast charger. When the reduced range will be here though :confused:

MarkN wrote: »
    I drove the e-tron in cold weather, motorways etc and the range was very reliable. I also got 50kms-200kms in about 35 mins using a fast charger. When the reduced range will be here though :confused:

supposed to be now

ill call audi this week and see

Thats a very expensive petrol car with a teeeeny battery.

• Advertisement

Thats a very expensive petrol car with a teeeeny battery.

Your not wrong....but its a nice car, very big and practical, and has some ev credentials. Choices in the 7 seat bracket are really limited.

Advertisement