Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eucalyptus trees

Options
  • 08-03-2020 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

Where would I buy about 10 young eucalyptus trees to sow for firewood and how much would they cost

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭webels

Future forests will have them as barefoot and will be about a fiver.
    But IMO alder or willow are better for firewood, wildlife etc. They will certainly coppice better and definitely grow as quick if not quicker. I have eucylytus, alder and willow and my preference is willow (sally)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

webels wrote: »
    Future forests will have them as barefoot and will be about a fiver.
    But IMO alder or willow are better for firewood, wildlife etc. They will certainly coppice better and definitely grow as quick if not quicker. I have eucylytus, alder and willow and my preference is willow (sally)

LOL i'm just after reading this and I've a lump of sally in the Stove at the moment. It burns nice and bright, I could read a book but I'd end up throwing the book into the stove for a bit of heat instead!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

So there no heat in willow. I was just going to ask where I would get willow slips. Hardly any point showing them so

• Registered Users Posts: 33,859 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What's the pros cons of eucalyptus in a garden. Always enjoyed the appearance of them would love to plant one or two. Half acre rear plot that's basically blank canvas other than being surrounded by 20 ft Leylandi. Going to plan a garden soon in it

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hempel

Tomjim wrote: »
    Where would I buy about 10 young eucalyptus trees to sow for firewood and how much would they cost

How many years would it take to grow for firewood . Thinking of planting a ditch but don’t know weather to plant by them birch or alder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

So there no heat in willow. I was just going to ask where I would get willow slips. Hardly any point showing them so

I have a lot of willow in my ditches, which regrows really easily once cut.

I have 20 acres of forestry between ash and spruce. I burn all 3 wood types and like willow for a few reasons
    *dries really quickly
    *regrows quickly into perfect size for stoves that doesn't need splitting
    *burns nicely in stove
    *cleaning ditches means more wood!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 NancyG

Beware if you live in the Midlands that a very cold snap will kill off your eucalyptus.....happened to lots of mature eucalyptus trees in the big freeze a few years back and then the wood was very wet at the way through for months and hard to burn. So do your research and be cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Accidentally

+1. Many other species were knocked back for a year, but eucalyptus just died.

Advertisement