Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

GM's new EV battery

Options
  • 08-03-2020 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/a31249263/general-motors-new-electric-vehicle-battery/

Just another promising story, or will the cost of batteries really come down if this actually goes into production?

Apparently it uses "a tiny amount" of cobalt ...... but will any amount be too much to allow it to be used?

I expect better tech to overcome this before it even gets off the ground, because there are so many working on the problem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

On the cobalt front, we might be able to get a recycling supply chain going there to continue its use without exploiting third-world people to do so. There was a Japanese process that was looking promising last year, though who knows what kinds of research and manufacturing delays we're going to see from Covid-19.

And on the battery tech itself, the more companies involved with battery research the better, even if we never have to use it, it drives the whole technology forward more rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,961 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Tesla beating battery?

I don't see anything in that article backing that up. Tesla beating in what way? Cost below $100 per kWh at cell level? Higher energy density per pack kg? Higher C levels of charging / discharging? Or what? Tesla already uses very little cobalt in their newer batteries (for Model 3) compared to most other battery makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Everything has to be described as Tesla beating, until it isn't.

I wouldn't trust the company that first started the electric car program then killed it, crushed it and then sold the rights to the most promising battery tech at the time to an oil company!

This stunt by GM led to a handicapped Prius, the Prius wanted to be so much more but because Chevron Texaco owned the battery rights Toyota were not allowed to install a NiMh battery of more than 1 Kwh and the battery was not to be the main source of power and still to this day it's 1 Kwh, you couldn't make it up !

NiMh wasn't perfect and it was not very efficient, it had high self discharge but this problem is now solved. So if buying AA NiMh batteries get the low self discharge ones, Amazon have their own branded cells that are LSD they are good and Panasonic eneloops.

The cycle life of NiMh today is also greatly improved.

When this battery tech is available to buy in a GM car I'll believe it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Any chance of GM existing in Europe again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,084 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Any chance of GM existing in Europe again?

They seem to be retrenching back to the US, not expanding.... they just pulled their Holden brand from Australia and have done similar in other countries too I think.

GM went bankrupt before... they could be heading the same way. This battery article wouldnt give you any confidence anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mrbongo

unkel wrote: »
    Tesla beating battery?

Same range (~400 miles) for twice the size/capacity (200kwh) - so, yes, beating Tesla ... in inefficiency :D

Advertisement