Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good coffee beans for office

• 06-03-2020 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I have been tasked with buying coffee beans for our office. There are 30 of us so going to through a good amount. Want to buy good stuff, but not pay €12 per 250g prices for 3FE etc.

I was told offices go to Bewleys/B2B etc but their offerings are not that great.

I buy Two Fifty Square at home which are great.

Any ideas where I can get good beans at better than regular cafe prices? We would be buying around 20kg a month.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

JJ Darboven supply businesses, and might hook you up. Worth calling them, they are in Blackrock I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭dball

amazon or discount coffee can be worth looking at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Bell Lane are about €7 for 250g and definitely do office coffee, so I imagine there's a discount off that retain price, so worth an enquiry maybe.
    Otherwise maybe a local coffee shop nearby might sort you out - they would have no delivery etc. so might do you a good deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Lidl 1kg bags not bad. I use them for work. Blue coloured bag. Espresso or tradionale beans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Lidl 1kg bags not bad. I use them for work. Blue coloured bag. Espresso or tradionale beans

Would have agreed a couple of years ago.

Bag ( "100% arabica" ) bought last winter - was rubbish

Bought another bag ( ditto ) last week, its hopeless too

Some of the office supply companies do coffee beans ... obv. wont be fresh roast date ... wonder if they are 'good enough' ?

e.g. https://www.huntoffice.ie/search/go?w=coffee+beans&ts=custom-ie

Do Aldi offer the Velo coffee as beans or just as ground ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

0lddog wrote: »
    Would have agreed a couple of years ago.

Bag ( "100% arabica" ) bought last winter - was rubbish

Bought another bag ( ditto ) last week, its hopeless too

Some of the office supply companies do coffee beans ... obv. wont be fresh roast date ... wonder if they are 'good enough' ?

e.g. https://www.huntoffice.ie/search/go?w=coffee+beans&ts=custom-ie

Do Aldi offer the Velo coffee as beans or just as ground ?

I've bought it as beans though its often sold out with 2+ boxes worth of ground left behind!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Drop the badger & dodo, coffeeang, 3fe and whoever else you can think of a message. I'm sure you could negotiate a decent discount for a monthly sub like that. How are you brewing? Have you a decent machine? What type of coffee do most of the crew prefer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

5kg shipped every week?
    Surely you could negotiate wholesale price for order like this with ANY top of the range artisan coffee roaster.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Nicks Espresso in Ranelagh have good beans for around €5.50 for 250g. If they are close enough to you that would be my suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

Has anyone used discountcoffee.ie?
    Seems pretty cheap... Any experiences to share?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried some of the office supplies i.e. bewleys/b2b. The coffee wasn't great. I drink two fifty square at home and it is much better than the stuff from the office crowds (albiet at least double the price).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

dubstepper wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions. I tried some of the office supplies i.e. bewleys/b2b. The coffee wasn't great. I drink two fifty square at home and it is much better than the stuff from the office crowds (albiet at least double the price).

Have you reached out to twofifty for wholesale prices? Cause to be honest the quantity you'd be looking at (5kg a week or so) most places would be pretty happy to take that on considering it's probably just a little less than some small cafes would use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Have you reached out to twofifty for wholesale prices? Cause to be honest the quantity you'd be looking at (5kg a week or so) most places would be pretty happy to take that on considering it's probably just a little less than some small cafes would use.

Include Ponaire in your bulk search. Priced per kg, I found them to be better value than most, for freshly roasted beans (though they don't have roast dates on the bags, which is dissapointing).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Include Ponaire in your bulk search. Priced per kg, I found them to be better value than most, for freshly roasted beans (though they don't have roast dates on the bags, which is dissapointing).

Just came here to recommend Ponaire. Big fan and they're my day to day coffee bean.

I found Ponaire just OK , not near as good as Bailies /Belllane /Badger and Dodo, don't mind 3FE .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Also found Ponaire fine /OK.

I'm fond of a crowd called dream beans in drogheda /dundalk sort of area. Have tried most of their coffee at this stage and it's all pretty good, there's one called oromio or something like that which stands out as better than the rest for me. They do occasional promotions so I'm sure worth a call to discuss bulk pricing. I've only ever used the website so no idea what they're like to deal with in person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,533 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

alec76 wrote: »
    I found Ponaire just OK , not near as good as Bailies /Belllane /Badger and Dodo, don't mind 3FE .
    I can't really argue with that, but there is also a price differential. I bought a Kg of beans from Badger and Dodo a couple of weeks back (Nicaragua: El Jardin - not anything more special than Ponaire) for ~€33, Bailies come in around the same, Bell Lane (for me, a similar standard to Ponaire) around €40, and 3FE (€40+). Coffee Mojo (one of my favourites - €34). Ponaire come in at around €25/Kg, so from a value perspective, represent good value. You can definitely get a similar standard delivered from Amazon.co.uk (e.g. Presto) for around €19, but like Ponaire, no roast dates, and not shopping local.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

OP i suggest you try Mccabes coffee in Wicklow. Do a search and you will find their website. They roast their own coffee. I pay about €20 per kilo for their coffee with next day delivery. You might get a better price for the quantity you are talking about. I get their Espresso Blend.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Yeah .... we don't need that office coffee now.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭superd1978

Folks, Im also looking to buy 1KG bags of coffee locally. Its for home use, so will last a while. I will try some of the sellers mentioned here, cheers.

I have a question, what is the best way to store coffee, id probably be 2months getting through a 1KG bag?

Im looking at one of those Coffee Gator jars, but stores max 500gm I believe. Any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

you probably don't need to stock up like that tbh

local roasters are small enough operations and will likely just continue to work through this

What about couriers? They might give up , eventually...Flat to the mat already.
    Best way to store it , I believe , would be vacuum sealer ....
    Good choice at Amazon.
    Devide it into small bags and vacuum seal it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

superd1978 wrote: »
    Folks, Im also looking to buy 1KG bags of coffee locally. Its for home use, so will last a while. I will try some of the sellers mentioned here, cheers.

I have a question, what is the best way to store coffee, id probably be 2months getting through a 1KG bag?

Im looking at one of those Coffee Gator jars, but stores max 500gm I believe. Any thoughts?

Best way would be to break it into small batches and freeze it after removing any air. Doesn't necessarily need to be a vacuum sealer but it'll help. You could get ziplock freezer bags, double bag it and then squeeze any air out. Break it into 100g or even 250g portions, and just leave it out to defrost for a day and then use the portion up before going again.

With the likes of the coffee gator and any other airtight container, they'll help preserve it alright but if you're constantly opening the container it'll still go stale.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭superd1978

Best way would be to break it into small batches and freeze it after removing any air. Doesn't necessarily need to be a vacuum sealer but it'll help. You could get ziplock freezer bags, double bag it and then squeeze any air out. Break it into 100g or even 250g portions, and just leave it out to defrost for a day and then use the portion up before going again.

With the likes of the coffee gator and any other airtight container, they'll help preserve it alright but if you're constantly opening the container it'll still go stale.

Good advice thanks.

Advertisement