Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

structural engineer

Options
  • 06-03-2020 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

hello, i was wondering if there were any structural engineers that could help me out.

i am doing some remodelling in my house, REmoval of supporting wall in place of steel beams.

i have had the steel sized @ 152x152uc30 3.6 m span. one at first floor (which supports the ceiling joists only) all roof timbers supported of 300mm thick mass concrete walls and another at ground floor ceiling which spports half of the first floor joists.

seems as the first floor is only supporting ceiling joists i wanted to use a 6 inch stud here with triple header and triple sole plate and opt for a 152uc37 then to take the floor joists.

my question is will the uc 37 be enough to support ?

building dimension 4.3m with a 675 pier to take steel with a 200mm bearing on both ends ( opposite end bearing in pocket taken from 300 tk mass concrete walls

any help would be much appreciated

Many Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Who sized the steel?
    Can they not help you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Lad, I already told you on the other thread. Any structrual engineer here on Boards is not going to dole out professional advice willy nilly on a thread nor in PM. It's not going to happen I'm afraid.
    Also, we are bound by our Code of Ethics not to undermine or interfere unnecessarily with the work of another engineer.

I suggest that you get back on to you engineer to reconsider the design as necessary rather than trying to cut corners to "get around" fees and things. It is not going to be that expensive to adjust a design check for a simple beam. The house is a big investment. Half an hour for a engineer isn't going to break the bank.

The engineer will have to sign off on it anyway. If they see that it is not built in the way intended as per the design, they, if they are diligent, will not sign off until they can verify that what has been built is to an acceptable standard. Then you might be billed for their time in retrospectively checking the as built for compliance.

I personally find it frustrating and insulting when something is designed and then a contractor decides to go off and do their own thing without consulting and checking that it is acceptable. Invariably, it is because it is handier and cheaper for them to "get around" doing it through the proper channels.

The steel design being correct is very much a part of ensuring Part A compliance. In fact, the structural steel design standard EC3 is mentioned in Section 1.0.1 of the Part A TGD.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

pmpm711 wrote: »
    hello, i was wondering if there were any structural engineers that could help me out.

As explained by TBC above, the answer is no.
    What you need to appreciate, in case TBC didn't make it crystal, is that the SE will need to
    1: design the beams and the method of installation/supporting existing etc.
    2: oversee the install of the beams before they are covered over
    3: If they are covered over before he inspects then he wont sign and you wont be able to sell without a world of hurt, end of.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Any structrual engineer here on Boards is not going to dole out professional advice willy nilly on a thread nor in PM.

It's also against the forum charter.....

1.5 Structural items . Issues relating to the specification of structural components is prohibited.

Advertisement