Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fghgfhfgh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Youre in PC building mate - computers not buildings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

No engineer is going to design a structural member for you on here I'm afraid.

I suggest you contact and suitably qualified and experienced engineer for your project.

In any case, you will need an assigned certifier anyway to certify that the works are designed and built properly, in this instance with part A of building regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pmpm711

tho boy conor,

as you can see ive had it designed by an engineer already lad, trying to get around paying the fee agaiin when it could be a simple recalc

i didnt ask for advice on building regs only steel calc thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4 pmpm711

apologies on the wrong thread ive moved it thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Then get the engineer to revise the design rather than trying to cut corners to "get around" things. It is not going to be that expensive to adjust a design check for a simple beam. The house is a big investment. Half an hour for a engineer isn't going to break the bank.

The engineer will have to sign off on it anyway. If they see that it is not built in the way intended as per the design, they, if they are diligent, will not sign off until they can verify that what has been built is to an acceptable standard. Then you might be billed for their time in retrospectively checking the as built for compliance.

I personally find it frustrating and insulting when something is designed and then a contractor decides to go off and do their own thing without consulting and checking that it is acceptable. Invariably, it is because it is handier and cheaper.

The steel design being correct is very much a part of ensuring Part A compliance. In fact, the structural steel design standard EC3 is mentioned in Section 1.0.1 of the Part A TGD.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

pmpm711 wrote: »
    tho boy conor,

as you can see ive had it designed by an engineer already lad, trying to get around paying the fee agaiin when it could be a simple recalc

i didnt ask for advice on building regs only steel calc thanks

Building Regs cover the structural design lad.

Advertisement