Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triton T90SR "Upgrade"

Options
  • 05-03-2020 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,125 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I have just spent the last 30 mins or so swapping out my old, noisy 8.5KW T90Z for a brand new 9.0KW T90SR only to turn it on and be thoroughly disappointed with the result.

The noise is fine, but I pretty much have to the the temp/flow selector at 85% for the water temp to be anywhere near where it was on the old shower at 50%.

Has anyone else experienced this?
    To be honest Im pretty disgusted, €235 for less pressure, lower temps albeit with less noise.

Could it be faulty? It seems like its not since if I turn it to 100% it get very hot (and in fact shuts off both elements)

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

GreeBo wrote:
    Has anyone else experienced this? To be honest Im pretty disgusted, €235 for less pressure, lower temps albeit with less noise.

Different model showers have different types of flow control valves. Just because you have to turn this one more doesn't mean that there is less water /pressure.

You need to "its a knockout" challenge. Get a litre jug. Turn on the shower & get it to a reasonable temperature that you would enjoy to shower in. Now see how many times you can fill the litre jug in 60 seconds. This will give you the litre per minute flow rate. It's 4c outside right now with a feels like 1c. Assuming you have 230V or higher (a professional installer would have tested this) then I would expect just under 3.5 litres of hot water per minute from a 9kw shower. I measured 218 volts in a house last week. They have slightly reduced water pressure because of this

With luck John.G will be along. He does wonderful maths that just hurts my brain. John will tell you what temperature your attic water is likely to be tonight, what temperature you will likely shower in & what lpm you should get at this temperature. My figures above are more rule of thumb and guesstimates. John's are more scientific.

I will say that most people replacing an old shower believe that their old shower was hotter with better pressure than the new shower. This isn’t just exclusive to triton. It isn't the case of course in most cases. Replacing an 8.5kw shower with a 9kw shower will give slightly better pressure & not less. I'd be genuinely interested in hearing how many lpm you are getting from your new shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,125 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'm basing my less pressure observation on the visible droop of the water coming from the shower head.

Note that the pressure is fine at cold temps, but thats useless in a shower.

We used the Z on the first power setting with the flow at 75%.
    The SR is unusable on the first setting, I actually thought it was broken when I first turned it on.

The voltage and tank temps are exactly the same as they were before the upgrade, I actually had a shower in it 15mins before replacing it.

Lpm on it's own isn't much use when comparing electric showers though, you need to be comparing the same temps too.

GreeBo wrote: »
    I'm basing my less pressure observation on the visible droop of the water coming from the shower head.

Note that the pressure is fine at cold temps, but thats useless in a shower.

We used the Z on the first power setting with the flow at 75%.
    The SR is unusable on the first setting, I actually thought it was broken when I first turned it on.

The voltage and tank temps are exactly the same as they were before the upgrade, I actually had a shower in it 15mins before replacing it.

Lpm on it's own isn't much use when comparing electric showers though, you need to be comparing the same temps too.

When you say the first setting are you talking about the top dial? This is the element selector. No element, one element or two element. 30 Years we called then winter & summer settings in the trade. One element is designed for the hottest day of the year when the water in your attic tank is Luke warm. Not intended for winter use.

The new shower head being bigger gives the impression of less water. Without being there & running tests for you the only test you can do is the liter jug test. This will show if there is something wrong with the shower or if it's your imagination. it's a simple test but gives a good indication

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    When you say the first setting are you talking about the top dial? This is the element selector. No element, one element or two element. 30 Years we called then winter & summer settings in the trade. One element is designed for the hottest day of the year when the water in your attic tank is Luke warm. Not intended for winter use.

The new shower head being bigger gives the impression of less water. Without being there & running tests for you the only test you can do is the liter jug test. This will show if there is something wrong with the shower or if it's your imagination. it's a simple test but gives a good indication

I'm using the same head and pipe from the old system so that's not it either I'm afraid.

It just seems like it cannot heat the water as well as the old one, which makes no sense to me for a 9kw shower.

GreeBo wrote:
    It just seems like it cannot heat the water as well as the old one, which makes no sense to me for a 9kw shower.

Can't you just do the litre jug test? I can tell you then if you have an issue or not.

• Advertisement

Can't you just do the litre jug test? I can tell you then if you have an issue or not.

Do it at what water temp though?

The temp and pressure/flow are inextricably linked unless I flip the commissioning switch back.

There is no pressure issue with cold, the problem only kicks in with hot water.

GreeBo wrote:
    The temp and pressure/flow are inextricably linked unless I flip the commissioning switch back.

I've no idea what you mean by the commissioning switch back. All this link does is opens up the solenoid without turning on the motor. It is for getting water through the shower on installation without using the motor. It has nothing to do with the heat of the shower.

I've already explained. Turn on the shower at a reasonable temperature that you will find comfortable to shower in. Then see how many times you can fill a litter jug in in 60 seconds with the temperature that you want to shower in. You should get close to 3.5 litres of warm water per minute. If you try it tomorrow morning after the frost you might be lucky to get 3 litres of warm water per minute.

This test will give a good indication if you have a problem with your shower or not. In most cases there isn't an issue with the shower. Some people expect the dial to be in the same position on both showers even though they are two totally different models. The temperature dial isn't supposed to be the same on the new shower.

Did you do the LPM Jug test?

I'd love to hear the results.Most people are shocked to discover that the old & new shower are much the same after all or that the new is actually slightly better than the old one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Is the temperature control knob fitted correctly.

I recently replaced an older T90Z with the SR and thought I had a problem similar to you in that it didn't seem to get very warm. Turned out that the temp knob was fitted so that when the dial was at 50% it was actually at 0 and therefore was only adjust from 0-50%, it wouldn't adjust the full way from cold to hot.

If you pull the knob off and turn the dial underneath back to zero before lining the knob up correctly and refitting.

Hopefully a simple fix similar to ours.

Did you do the LPM Jug test?

I'd love to hear the results.Most people are shocked to discover that the old & new shower are much the same after all or that the new is actually slightly better than the old one
    Haven't had a chance to do it yet tbh
    THE ALM wrote: »
    Is the temperature control knob fitted correctly.

I recently replaced an older T90Z with the SR and thought I had a problem similar to you in that it didn't seem to get very warm. Turned out that the temp knob was fitted so that when the dial was at 50% it was actually at 0 and therefore was only adjust from 0-50%, it wouldn't adjust the full way from cold to hot.

If you pull the knob off and turn the dial underneath back to zero before lining the knob up correctly and refitting.

Hopefully a simple fix similar to ours.
    Nah it's not this unfortunately, the water does get hot, but only with what seems like a much lower flow rate then the previous model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Been a while since I did it but I also replaced my T90z with a T90sr and the flow rate seemed less (but very acceptable) and I have to turn dial up further (around 75%/3 o clock) for acceptable water temp.

I’d need to read up on it again but my basic understanding was that due to the higher flow rate on the T90sr, the water won’t be as hot with the dial in the same position as the old shower due to it not having enough time to heat up, so you end up needing to turn dial higher to achieve the same heat, which slows down the flow rate a bit.

Now if yours is really poor in comparison to the old unit, there might be something else going on. Maybe the small basket filter piece has some debris in it etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Thank you for this. Had just come across this.

@GreeBo

did you ever get around to doing the litre per minute test?

T90SR is 9KW. T90Z was 8.5KW. T90SR has slightly better pressure because it's .5KW more power.

I didn't actually, the old one is still in the garage somewhere and we are used to the newer one now so no real issues tbh

Triton have come out with a great add on for the T90SR for anyone interested. It's a dual shower pole with rain head. Works pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭hesker

Is this the one you mean?

https://www.tritonshowers.ie/t90sr-duelec-shower-kit-chrome

Prices around €140 it seems

Do you know the horizontal reach on it. I’m guessing about 40cm based on photos. Specs don’t list that I think

Advertisement