Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cash for cars scam

Options
  • 04-03-2020 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

All the stickers that are on abandoned cars, these cash for cars companies are they all scammers who will take your car strip it and burn it out or leave it at the side of the road? Then you will be left to clean up the mess when the authorities trace it back to you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Nah most of them will take the car and just drive it into scrap dealer for quick profit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

mickdw wrote: »
    Nah most of them will take the car and just drive it into scrap dealer for quick profit

ln that scenario lets say they off you 90 for your car and you know the most you will get is 110 at the scrap yard, it's hard to see why they would do it for 20 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 68,273 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If it's drivable it'll be exported to an African nation that uses our side of the road and has minimal to no roadworthiness checks

If it's not they'll scrap at it preferential rates for bulk and live with the small profit.

You won't get a destruction cert so if it somehow does end up in use again here you've no proof it's not yours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

L1011 wrote: »
    If it's drivable it'll be exported to an African nation that uses our side of the road and has minimal to no roadworthiness checks

If it's not they'll scrap at it preferential rates for bulk and live with the small profit.

I also have a polish "friend" I use it loosely but hes a nice lad,

He buys near scrap cars for low price and strips them and sends the parts back to poland his brother is mechanic in poland and apparently they both make a tidy profit from it. Didnt get into the ins and out of it but he seems to know alot about cars.

L1011 wrote: »

You won't get a destruction cert so if it somehow does end up in use again here you've no proof it's not yours

seems like too much of a risk, I had an experience last month and they promised they would send on the end of life cert if I gave them the car , a claim I doubted so much I ditched the whole idea, that they wouldn't send on a cert sounds way more plausible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭bliger

Will be using cartakeback service, done a quote online yesterday should be collected tomorrow

bliger wrote: »
    Will be using cartakeback service, done a quote online yesterday should be collected tomorrow

Will you be dropping it off or having it collected?

tillyfilly wrote: »
    Will you be dropping it off or having it collected?
    Will be collected from home

• Registered Users Posts: 2 WhatGoesUp

Have you been given an estimate?

WhatGoesUp wrote: »
    Have you been given an estimate?

yes, on their website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

If you decide to sell your car to them, DO NOT HAND OVER THE LOGBOOK. Make them sign it with a name and address, and you post it off to the department of transport. Unless they can provide you with a valid and verifiable garage code (I guarantee you they won't) in which case you both fill out an RF105 form (downloadable online) and you hand the dealer the logbook.

Do not let the logbook out of your sight when you are dealing with them either.

got my certificate of destruction by post.

Do due dilligence, or you could find yourself on the wrong end of a lawsuit if the car is subsequently involved in shennanigans. Companies like STR truck spares in Mitchelstown have been around for donkeys and have a good rep. I've used them in the past, got my cheque and cert of destruction. They tell me there are lads going around pretending to be them in vehicles with no signage.

Advertisement