Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with route download - Orwell 200

Options
  • 04-03-2020 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭

I've half a mind to do this if the weather is OK, but am I missing something here?

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/613423034

That's the route, but I'm 25 minutes faffing around the houses with it and can't find any obvious way to download or save the route as an exportable tcx/gpx etc for transferring to a Garmin??!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

There's a tab just over the map with headings of 'Bookmark', 'Log workout' etc. Hit the 'More' heading and there's an option to download GPX. Can you see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

There's a tab just over the map with headings of 'Bookmark', 'Log workout' etc. Hit the 'More' heading and there's an option to download GPX. Can you see that?

No, that's not on my screen, maybe it's my phone or the mobile view?

Cheers. I'll give that a go. That's a pretty useful link / service if it works!

fat bloke wrote: »

Cheers. I'll give that a go. That's a pretty useful link / service if it works!

I haven't used it in a while, just recalled it was in my book marks.

The option mr spuckler mentioned is there on my desktop computer, does your browser on the phone allow you to switch to the desktop version of the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I've half a mind to do this if the weather is OK....
    Jesus, don't mention the war. I'm still traumatised by the horror of last year's weather. Probably my toughest day on a bike.

(The route is fairly straightforward compared to typical audax routes. No boreens or back lanes).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I'll be there, at the back of the bunch on Sunday. Say hi, don't be shy. It's usually a very fast audax as some lads seem to like using it as an opportunity to race. I'll be taking it handy, not quite full value but steady.

It's very easy to navigate, the weather looks favourable, probably the best day for an audax in over a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I literally didn't consider for one second the possibility that you were on your phone :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭meercat

That's the Orwell Randonee Meercat, a different beast altogether :)

That converter thingy didn't work for me yet, but I'm going to try the non mobile site route, see how it goes.

Perfect. Worked a treat.

Will in all likelihood chicken out anyway after all that.... :D

What kind of numbers do it? And are Audaxers lone-wolves or is group / draft riding a no no? Ye'll be going by my gaff around Scholar's pub there. I imagine I should be able to recognise ye by ye're comfortable geometries? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...What kind of numbers do it? And are Audaxers lone-wolves or is group / draft riding a no no?...
    Last year there were 98 entries. 56 started and only 19 finished with 37 not finishing. (42 didn't start due to the weather presumably). That level of entries would be higher than normal but it's probably because it's a relatively flat and simple route.

Regarding group riding, there's no problem with it but the groups tend to fizzle out as the distance increases. You might get into a small group but don't expect everyone to work together or expect anyone to ease off or speed up to suit others. Similarly, if you puncture, don't expect anyone to wait. They may do but just don't expect it.

You'll get plenty of information on Audax rides on this thread (and a few posts on last year's Orwell 200 from post 434 onwards.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057516487&page=12

There's no problem with drafting or forming a group. Just beware that if you look strong, lads are likely to leave you burying yourself out the front for 20km. If you can get a cooperative group where everyone works in, happy days.

Sometimes it's like the worst club spin you've ever been on.

Call holes, don't be a d!ck and leave snot rockets.

The Orwell 200 is probably the least scenic of all the routes. It tends to be fast if the weather is favourable.

Audaxers tend to be friendly enough. We welcome newbies, everyone had a first time once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭meercat

That's the Orwell Randonee Meercat, a different beast altogether :)

That converter thingy didn't work for me yet, but I'm going to try the non mobile site route, see how it goes.

Oops sorry

Do did you do it? 98 people started out of 128 entrants. That's massive numbers for an Audax.

It was a tough day out,large groups and headwind to Kikbeggan, showers of sleet and hailstones to Monasterevin, tailwind back to Dublin.

Thanks to Orwell for hosting, you did a great job.

Did I download the route? Oh absolutely yeah, I did. I downloaded it and renamed it and saved it and everything, and even transferred it onto my Garmin....

But no I didn't do the cycle :(. - I was trying to get my regular crew of 4 to join me on it but it was never really a runner and truth be told I wouldn't have had the legs for it. Fair play to all that did though, I was driving home through Knocklyon yesterday evening about 6.30 and I spotted a group of 4 or 5 that looked like fairly audaxy - might have been some lads (and lassies) almost home after it.

First person home was after 2pm. By the time I got back at 16:30, 60 riders were in ahead of me.

You'd have been grand. If you can do club league, you can get round this 200. Plenty more long-distance rides available through Audax Ireland. www.audaxireland.org

Advertisement