Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neil Prendeville, the tax default list, the high court case and the sex act

Options
  • 04-03-2020 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭

A few articles on this today but the sun has a quote which says
    The probe was described as a “Revenue Investigation Case” for “Under-declaration of Income Tax”.

It goes on about how he made a full denial and it was all the accountants fault and how he won a high court case against his accountant but there are a few things that don't sit right about this case.

1. How difficult could his accounts have been, he's a broadcaster possibly trading though a limited company invoicing for his services so unless they were filing the returns as nil it's difficult to understand how his accountants could have got it so wrong.

2. If this was a revenue investigation then revenue must have thought there was something more sinister going on otherwise they would have conducted a revenue audit. A revenue investigation is their most serious type of intervention.

3. An article from the examiner says that
    He has since taken High Court legal action against the firm and has won substantial compensation, and the tax liabilities, penalties have been settled in full. He is fully tax compliant.

Would this not have been reported on or be available on courts.ie? I expect that a high court case involving a high profile radio presenter would have been noticed?

4. If this did go to court, my experience is that clients who sue their accountant with the excuse of "my accountant never told me" doesn't get much traction and these people are usually advised not to proceed with such cases as ultimately it's the directors responsibility. If he was suing for gross negligence he would need to prove this which goes back to point number 1.

5. His explanation about not wanting to name his previous accountant to protect their identity and the identity of their staff is also bizarre because if he had taken a high court case then this would have been in the public domain anyway.

Am I missing something?

Edit: It's also interesting that he cited the damage to his personal reputation considering the prior incident he had on an Aer Lingus flight where he allegedly opened his trousers and started masturbating in front of two air hostesses and then went on to say he had no recollection of the incident and blamed it on a combination of nurofen and alcohol.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/irelan...ai-135321.html

Surely his personal reputation was damaged already?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Eireog1

No I was wondering the same thing myself. Sounds like he is trying to deflect the fact that he did pay his taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Eireog1 wrote: »
    No I was wondering the same thing myself. Sounds like he is trying to deflect the fact that he did pay his taxes.

Exactly, the whole thing seems bizarre.

Me thinks he does protest too much.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The amounts are substantial. An excuse of "I never knew" is hardly believable.

The amounts are substantial. An excuse of "I never knew" is hardly believable.

It's actual not that much. A small undeclared liability over a few years with interest and penalties can accumulate into large liability.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It's actual not that much. A small undeclared liability over a few years with interest and penalties can accumulate into large liability.
    The tax liability was €327,663. Interest was €115,674 and penalties were €98,299.

• Advertisement

Robbo wrote: »
    The tax liability was €327,663. Interest was €115,674 and penalties were €98,299.

Yes but how many years? Either way it's still alot of money I'm just saying I've seen much higher. Yes the "nobody told me excuse" is hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Eireog1 wrote: »

From courts.ie search under Plaintiff name, you'll find listing.

https://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Director/Prendeville/Neil/2297895948/

https://www.solocheck.ie/Irish-Company/Jgc-Control-Services-Limited-492892

If you want to pay you can get the filed accounts if you wish.

So much for not wanting to bad mouth accountant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Am I missing something?

Surely his personal reputation was damaged already?

You are only named on the list when you pay the revenue, as they can prosecute you if you're messing them around up until then.
    So that bit of his statement is there to deflect from the issue, that hes a caught tax dodger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Only listing in high court I can find involving a “Neil prendeville” is 2019/545 - which has not gotten a court listing....it is against an accountants firm.

Story doesn’t add up.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

That’s a huge liability, how could the accountants have got it so wrong? Someone has made a huge error and been caught with their pants down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,258 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Only listing in high court I can find involving a “Neil prendeville” is 2019/545 - which has not gotten a court listing....it is against an accountants firm.

Story doesn’t add up.

he sued his accountants and their insurance paid out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

he sued his accountants and their insurance paid out.

But .... since the matter didn’t get to court, would it not be more correct to say he had lodged papers with the intent to sue and the parties settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,258 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

But .... since the matter didn’t get to court, would it not be more correct to say he had lodged papers with the intent to sue and the parties settled.

He lodged a case with the court hence he sued them. That they settled before it got to court doesn't change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,167 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

No. It's correct to say that he actually sued them. The suit did not go to trial because the parties settled it.

Advertisement