Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Northern Ireland Prison Service now recruiting

  • 04-03-2020 3:04pm
    #1
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,631 CMod ✭✭✭✭


    For those interested, all relevant info can be found here.


    Closing date for applications is 20th of March at 12pm and "applications from Roman Catholics and women would be particularly welcome".


    Best of luck in advance to those applying.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Belfast86


    Have just applied for the NCO and the PCO (escort/driver) positions. Would accept any but preference is NCO.

    I just made a thread other on the other sub forum for all parties entering the 2020 campaign to post up.

    I would like to know the run down of the selection. I know with the police it is - IST , role play, IST, fitness, Medical etc. I’m currently in for police but prefer the prison service if I’m honest.

    Thanks
    B86


  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Belfast86


    Anyone else on here apply for prison service?


  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭SMS19


    Belfast86 wrote: »
    Anyone else on here apply for prison service?

    Any reason why you would pick the prison over the police?
    Every year it seems that a fair few prison officers apply for the police.


  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Belfast86


    SMS19 wrote: »
    Any reason why you would pick the prison over the police?
    Every year it seems that a fair few prison officers apply for the police.

    I just received word last week I passed the police service after 7attempts at the IST. So I’m on to the next stage.

    To answer your question it’s a strange call but I would prefer the prison as it’s something I have always wanted. Will happily take either but the prison is preference.


  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭NeeNaw21


    Genuinely couldn't pay me enough money to work in a prison in NI.

    Very welk done to all those that do but I just don'r have the balls lol


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Belfast86


    NeeNaw21 wrote: »
    Genuinely couldn't pay me enough money to work in a prison in NI.

    Very welk done to all those that do but I just don'r have the balls lol

    Lol fair cal for being honest pal. For me I believe I have what it takes and want it just that little bit more than the police.


  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Belfast86


    Anyone heard any update from the release of the recent job applications?

    Closing date was back in March and haven’t heard a thing. Obviously with the current situation with CV-19 but just curious if anyone knows anymore?


  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Belfast86


    Received an email from HR recruitment team saying I have been short listed for a virtual interview in the coming weeks.

    Is there anyone else on here applying for the NIPS? Anyone any idea what a virtual interview would consist off?

    Thanks


  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Belfast86


    I received my conditional offer today and start my training in few weeks.

    So happy!!


  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrChew


    Belfast86 wrote: »
    I received my conditional offer today and start my training in few weeks.

    So happy!!

    Congrats chum, very happy for you. Does that mean you're done with police recruitment? I know you wanted the prison service more.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Belfast86


    MrChew wrote: »
    Congrats chum, very happy for you. Does that mean you're done with police recruitment? I know you wanted the prison service more.

    Thanks buddy.

    No my name is still in the hat with the police. I always wanted prison service over police but no harm in keeping my options open and seeing how the prison service pans out.

    The training is 8 weeks so I’ll be on the prison landings well before my PCA (that’s if I have passed the AC) I can see the police campaign being delayed past 5th dec. this will give me time to get used to the prison and see if this is what I want.

    Glad to read you passed your PCA buddy. When we met that day I knew you’d breeze through this campaign. :)


  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrChew


    Belfast86 wrote: »
    Thanks buddy.

    No my name is still in the hat with the police. I always wanted prison service over police but no harm in keeping my options open and seeing how the prison service pans out.

    The training is 8 weeks so I’ll be on the prison landings well before my PCA (that’s if I have passed the AC) I can see the police campaign being delayed past 5th dec. this will give me time to get used to the prison and see if this is what I want.

    Glad to read you passed your PCA buddy. When we met that day I knew you’d breeze through this campaign. :)

    Ach cheers chum. It sounds like you're playing it smart, no point in committing until you have to commit, eh? Am I to assume that your eyesight was ok for the prison service medical?


  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Belfast86


    MrChew wrote: »
    Ach cheers chum. It sounds like you're playing it smart, no point in committing until you have to commit, eh? Am I to assume that your eyesight was ok for the prison service medical?

    Yes with my eye being a lazy eye from birth. I wore an eye patch for a few months and my eye improved from 6/20 to 6/12 with contacts in. So I meet the requirement for the prison and police. I can also get laser treatment now also.


  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭MrChew


    Belfast86 wrote: »
    Yes with my eye being a lazy eye from birth. I wore an eye patch for a few months and my eye improved from 6/20 to 6/12 with contacts in. So I meet the requirement for the prison and police. I can also get laser treatment now also.

    Aw man, that's great! Good luck with your next stages and your training. Really happy for you.


  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Columbo1234


    Belfast86 wrote: »
    I received my conditional offer today and start my training in few weeks.

    So happy!!

    Congrats and all the best with your training mate


  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Belfast86


    Congrats and all the best with your training mate

    Thank you pal. Good luck with your PCA.


  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Big_A


    Hi all, I'm awaiting NIPS medical date, they reconsidered me after appeal process. Contacted them and they said there is a backlog...

    Anyone any ideas of when training is scheduled for without providing specifics? Give me an idea if and when I get the medical with backlogs and covid situation.

    Cheers


  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Belfast86


    Big_A wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm awaiting NIPS medical date, they reconsidered me after appeal process. Contacted them and they said there is a backlog...

    Anyone any ideas of when training is scheduled for without providing specifics? Give me an idea if and when I get the medical with backlogs and covid situation.

    Cheers

    I am literally just passing out this Friday. Are you in for night or day??


  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Big_A


    Belfast86 wrote: »
    I am literally just passing out this Friday. Are you in for night or day??

    What you mean by passing out sorry? In for day, CPO


  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Belfast86


    Big_A wrote: »
    What you mean by passing out sorry? In for day, CPO

    I’ve just completed the 9weeks training and have my pass out parade this Friday. So I start on the landings next week. From the course instructors they have another class starting in a few weeks which I believe is night custody officers. Then the CPO course should run around March time.

    I’m in for NCO atm and as soon as I start next week I’m requesting a transfer to days.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Big_A


    Aw happy days! Hope you enjoy it. Thought the training was longer than that. Hopefully get my medical in February some point. I believe all the PSNI medicals etc have been paused until further notice due to Covid. Hopefully not NIPS...

    Good luck!


Advertisement