Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't verify phone number

Options
  • 03-03-2020 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Adverts | Friends
    Can't verify phone number
    I have been trying to log in to my credit union account online, but in order to do this I need to verify my phone number. However the verification codes are not reaching my phone. This issue has gone on for weeks with the credit union blaming my phone company for the problem, and vice versa. The phone company thinks the problem is with the way that the credit union is routing the message, and this seems most likely to me, but the credit union insists it's not their problem. Surely they have an obligation to provide me with proper access to my account.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,273 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Do you use Virgin or have you recently ported your number? Network customer care are clueless about these type of issues

Its entirely an issue with your network, whichever of the many causes, and not the credit unions issue

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Coora

Thanks, I'm with Tesco mobile. They have told me they took it up with their technical department and that there's nothing else they can do, don't know what I should do next.

MVNOs like Tesco, Virgin, Lyca often have very limited connectivity to the firms used for bulk texting. Basically they are only guaranteed to work on the "big 3" and usually work on the MVNOs they themselves own like Gomo and 48.

Thanks for that, any suggestions what I should do next?

Not a lot of options:

1: See if the CU have a method that doesn't use a phone at all - there are still people who don't have one after all
    2: Change mobile network and presume it was a Tesco Mobile issue
    3: If the number has ever been ported before (e.g. it isn't a Tesco Mobile 089 number that you have always used on Tesco Mobile), check the HLR record isn't incorrect - phonenumber-lookup.info and put in the number and it should show an IMSI, MSC and the other details should all be coherent also.

The last thing is to make sure the CU hasn't somehow got the number formatted wrong on their system - no spaces, no ( ), no trailing or leading spaces either.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much for your help, I'll check this lot out and see.if any of it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

You could also get a Three* PAYG SIM and use it in a spare phone (or dual SIM phone) for the purpose of receiving 2FA SMS. That eliminates having to change networks.

*Three SIMs will stay active without top up (except for initial top up at purchase) whereas Eir and Vodafone won't.

Advertisement