Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Out Of Contract - Options?

• 03-03-2020 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭

I've just completed my 24 month Vodafone contract.
    I have an S7 that is working fine and I'm happy with, apart from a reduced battery life that I could live with for another 12 months.
    For various reasons I will be staying with Vodafone.
    As far as I can see I have 2 options.
    1. Start a new 24 month contract and get a new phone. I would like to keep my monthly expenditure low, so would remain on their cheaper €40 plan and pay a one off €280 for an S10 with 10Gb of data (I never use more than 3Gb).
    2. Go SIM only for 12 months and upgrade this time next year. My thinking behind this is, that in 12 months time I should be able to get a 5G phone for the same price that I can get a 4G phone for now. Otherwise, I wouldn't consider this option, since it seems the cheapest I can get is €35 /month with 20Gb of data (17Gb of which I won't use).
    Has anyone else been trying to decide something similar and have I missed any options?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭JTMan

Have you considered the pre pay sim only plans on Vodafone? Such as the Vodafone X plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

There are various PAYG options on Vodafone for 20e per 28 days.

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/pay-as-you-go-plans.html

Cost of bill pay upgrade for 24 months:
    (24 x 40) + 280 = 1240

PAYG cost for 24 months:
    26 x 20 = 520

That's 720 saving to put towards a new 5G SIM free phone when prices drop in a year or two.

Better to switch to PAYG than SIM only as it'll save you 160 over the year...

(12 x 35) - (13 x 20) = 160

If you only use 3GB per month then 4G is more than sufficient for a few years yet.

First thing to do is request the unlock code from Vodafone. That's not necessary if staying with Vodafone SIM only but in a years time (or now if upgrading) it would be beneficial to have it unlocked for use by family or friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭josip

JTMan wrote: »
    Have you considered the pre pay sim only plans on Vodafone? Such as the Vodafone X plans?

That looks like €20/month for 30Gb (total) of data + one of Music/Weekend/Sports ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭JTMan

josip wrote: »
    That looks like €20/month for 30Gb (total) of data + one of Music/Weekend/Sports ?

Correct.

Other option is unlimited calls, unlimited texts and 10 GB data for 20 EUR per month on the Vodafone Chat Extra plan.

The Vodafone sim only bill pay plan is very expensive. As the poster above pointed out, you are better off on PAYG sim only.

Advertisement