Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to cut a neat hole in my woodwork?

Options
  • 02-03-2020 10:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭

As part of a series of "comfort and modernisation" upgrades to my bed spaces, I'd like to cut two holes in the adjacent wardrobe, each of about 15x30cm. All the original holes and curves were cut by some kind of computer-assisted whirlygig on the flat, are beautifully smooth and finished with a colour-matched edge trim.

What's the best way for me to achieve something similar in situ? My cheap jigsaw isn't the most reliable at following lines I've drawn for it, and working in the limited space of a bunk bed, I'd have even less confidence in it - but maybe it just needs the right kind of blade? This board is (I think) 9mm plywood, I might also need to cut through some 12mm in a different area.

And, assuming I can get a neat cut, where's the best place to go looking for edge trim?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

As part of a series of "comfort and modernisation" upgrades to my bed spaces, I'd like to cut two holes in the adjacent wardrobe, each of about 15x30cm. All the original holes and curves were cut by some kind of computer-assisted whirlygig on the flat, are beautifully smooth and finished with a colour-matched edge trim.

What's the best way for me to achieve something similar in situ? My cheap jigsaw isn't the most reliable at following lines I've drawn for it, and working in the limited space of a bunk bed, I'd have even less confidence in it - but maybe it just needs the right kind of blade? This board is (I think) 9mm plywood, I might also need to cut through some 12mm in a different area.

And, assuming I can get a neat cut, where's the best place to go looking for edge trim?

Edge trim is easy to get it comes in rolls, egger make nice trim. You might need a scroll blade for your saw but if you want it done right you need to use a router I'd say.

https://youtu.be/7X1bJU5--pI

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

You might need a scroll blade for your saw but if you want it done right you need to use a router I'd say.

https://youtu.be/7X1bJU5--pI

:eek: That's an awful lot of workshop to fit into the bunk space!

But maybe I can make a template and use a flush-trim router bit to fine tune it. Not quite sure how I'd fix it all in place, though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

If its an oval hole it would be done by a router and a jig in the factory. Sounds like you don't have one.

Jig saw will be hideous.

On 9mm you could get reasonable results for an oval hole by drilling two holes side by side, I'd use conical bits (drill from either side will give a very slight taper to the hole) then cut out the remainder in the middle with an oscillating multitool or at a push a sharp chisel, knife.

If you stick masking tapes to the surfaces first it help stop the surface ply from tearing.

If you sand the edges of the hole and seal them with sanding sealer or similar it should be neat enough.

If you are after a square hole then multitool is the way to go. If you want square hole with rounded corners you drill the corners first then joint up with multitool.

It'd be a rectangular hole (hence the 15x30cm ;) ), ideally with rounded corners to match the factory finished shapes.

Is there a particular multitool bit that'd be better than anything else for this? Or do I just root around in my 60-million-miscellaneous-multitool-accessories-box until I find something that'll do the job? I have a 1m flexible extension drive for my multitool, so that'd certainly make it easier to work with more precision on the vertical wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

A multitool is not a dremmel.

https://youtu.be/-SXMAZeyprk

• Advertisement

A multitool is not a dremmel.

But a Dremmel is a multi-tool! ;)

So is a Leatherman, which was what I first thought of when autumnalcore suggested using a multitool, so if that particular word also describes what I've always known as an oscillating saw (though never had one), then perhaps it's not a great term to use in general discussion ...

Having rattled my neurons a bit, I think I may have figured out how to build and secure a template to the vertical wall, so that I can use a router to flush trim the hole after a rough-ish cut using a jigsaw.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

4 holes in the corners of the opening, and keyhole saw to remove the rest.
    What purpose are the holes serving?

kadman wrote: »
    What purpose are the holes serving?

I'm installing "cubby holes" in the bunk areas, to hold (and provide 12V USB to) mobile phones, tablets and other stuff that wasn't important when the children were all in single-digits (and they were small enough to share their space with a storage box).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Am i right in saying you are providing small storage compartments??

Yep!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭karmaan

PM sent

Advertisement