Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D15 Speed Limits

Options
  • 02-03-2020 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭

Fingal County Council are doing a consultation on speed limits. Please consider the proposals for your area and make a submission, whether you support the changes or not.

I will be making a submission. If you have any queries or would like me to include something, let me know.

Maps and other details are available here https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consultation/road-traffic-speed-limits-county-fingal-proposed-bye-laws-2020
    Road Traffic (Speed Limits) (County of Fingal) Proposed Bye-Laws 2020

Fingal County Council in exercise of the powers conferred on it by Section 9 of the Road Traffic Act, 2004 (No. 44 of 2004) hereby gives notice of its intention to make Special Speed Limit Bye-Laws in respect of public roads within the administrative County of Fingal.

The Draft Bye-Laws are available for inspection at https://consult.fingal.ie/browse from Monday 10th February 2020 to Friday 20th March 2020 inclusive. They are also available for inspection at Fingal County Council Offices and Fingal County Council Libraries as follows from Monday 10th February 2020 to Friday 20th March 2020 inclusive:-

Fingal County Hall, Main Street, Swords, Co. Dublin
    Monday–Friday 9.00 am–5.00 pm (4.30 pm Friday)

Fingal County Council Offices, Grove Road, Blanchardstown, Dublin 15
    Monday–Friday 9.00 am–5.00 pm (4.30 pm Friday)

Balbriggan Library, Georges Square, Balbriggan County Dublin
    Monday 9.45 am–5.00 pm
    Tuesday & Thursday 1.15 pm–8.00 pm
    Wednesday 9.45 am–8.00 pm
    Friday & Saturday 9.45 am–1.00 pm & 1.45pm–5pm

Baldoyle Library, The Mall, Baldoyle, Fingal, Dublin 13
    Monday 9.45 am–1.00 pm & 1.45pm–8pm
    Tuesday & Thursday 1.15 pm–8.00 pm
    Wednesday 9.45 am–1.00 pm & 1.45pm–5pm
    Friday & Saturday 9.45 am–1.00 pm & 1.45pm–5pm

Any person may submit observations, comments or objections to the Draft Bye-Laws from the date of the publication of this notice up to Friday 20th March 2020 and any objections received shall be considered by the Council. Such observations, comments or objections are to be made online at https://consult.fingal.ie/browse. Alternatively, objections can be made in writing and addressed to Mr. Andrew Nolan, Senior Executive Engineer, Operations Department, Fingal County Council, Grove Road, Blanchardstown, Dublin 15 to arrive no later than 4.30 pm on Friday 20th March 2020.

Andrew Nolan
    Senior Executive Engineer
    Operations Department

All comments, including the names of those making comments, submitted to the Council in regard this consultation will form part of the statutory report to be presented to the monthly meeting of Fingal County Council.

Accordingly the statutory report will list the persons or bodies who made submissions or observations with respect to the proposed Bye Laws.

The submissions will also be included in the minutes of that meeting and consequently will appear on the Council’s Website. By making a submission the name of individual or bodies will appear on the statutory report and minutes of the meeting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I'll be making a submission, primarily in support of the extension of the 30km/h limits in housing estates.

I will also be asking for a reduction from 60 to 50 on Luttrellstown Road in the section that passes Porterstown Park. The current 60 limit there is quite crazy as the road is curved, narrow and passes the church and park entrances.

I will also be looking for a reduction from 50 to 30 on Grove Road that passes Coolmine Community School.

On Beechpark Avenue in Castleknock I'll suggest a reduction from 50 to 30 or at least a periodic reduction during school opening and closing hours as there is 2 schools along that road. A periodic limit is proposed near Scoil Choilm and Luttrellstown Community College.

I understand the proposal to reduce the speed limit on Delwood Road and Roselawn Road to 30 (as many houses open directly onto those roads) but I fear that the limit will be widely ignored.
    I wonder will people that expressed concern about speeding cyclists on the greenway object to reducing speeding motorists? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

daymobrew wrote: »
    I'll be making a submission, primarily in support of the extension of the 30km/h limits in housing estates.

I will also be asking for a reduction from 60 to 50 on Luttrellstown Road in the section that passes Porterstown Park. The current 60 limit there is quite crazy as the road is curved, narrow and passes the church and park entrances.

I will also be looking for a reduction from 50 to 30 on Grove Road that passes Coolmine Community School.

On Beechpark Avenue in Castleknock I'll suggest a reduction from 50 to 30 or at least a periodic reduction during school opening and closing hours as there is 2 schools along that road. A periodic limit is proposed near Scoil Choilm and Luttrellstown Community College.

I understand the proposal to reduce the speed limit on Delwood Road and Roselawn Road to 30 (as many houses open directly onto those roads) but I fear that the limit will be widely ignored.
    I wonder will people that expressed concern about speeding cyclists on the greenway object to reducing speeding motorists? :rolleyes:

What’s the point in any of this? It’ll never get policed. Especially housing estates.

I’m not saying you’re wrong but there’s just no reason whatsoever for motorists to slow down right now.

People are flying around my estate. All I can do is make sure I have control my kids at all times. I do see other parents not doing this and it always makes me uneasy. 30k speed limits won’t stop it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

When the Council put up speed limit signs including one flashing one that displays your speed on the Waterville ring road I contacted them saying that 50kmph was dangerously high given the number of children on the road. Council told me that there was no statutory basis for a 30kmph speed limit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Is this advertised any place else? Or is it typical fingal cloak and dagger stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Phil.x wrote: »
    Is this advertised any place else? Or is it typical fingal cloak and dagger stuff.
    Oh, look, it's on the council website, speedlimits.ie, boards.ie, balbriggan.info and probably in the newspapers and other places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Victor wrote: »
    Oh, look, it's on the council website, speedlimits.ie, boards.ie, balbriggan.info and probably in the newspapers and other places.

Thanks for your useless post.

Never heard of speedlimits.ie, or balbriggan.info.
    Who regularly checks council websites? And "probably in the news papers and other places", you're some tulip, maybe even a fingal cc employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Phil.x wrote: »
    Thanks for your useless post.

Never heard of speedlimits.ie, or balbriggan.info.
    Who regularly checks council websites? And "probably in the news papers and other places", you're some tulip, maybe even a fingal cc employee.

Their Twitter page has it too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Victor wrote: »

Why did you post a link on other forums and a snotty response here?

Anyone interested can go to the link below and it is important that you then click “Materials” link on the right hand column.

https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consultation/road-traffic-speed-limits-county-fingal-proposed-bye-laws-2020

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭daymobrew

What’s the point in any of this? It’ll never get policed. Especially housing estates.

I’m not saying you’re wrong but there’s just no reason whatsoever for motorists to slow down right now.

People are flying around my estate. All I can do is make sure I have control my kids at all times. I do see other parents not doing this and it always makes me uneasy. 30k speed limits won’t stop it though.
    I think that it helps. I believe that many people will reduce their speed though I agree that enforcement does not exist and it's those that don't reduce their speed that will kill or seriously injure.

At least with a reduced speed limit it will give the Gardai something easy to enforce when they are hassled into it at some point e.g. when there's uproar in a specific are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

The amount of bellends who speed through housing estates is quite something. In my parents estate I regularly nearly get whacked at a T-junction inside the estate, where parked cars around the T mean you should be proceeding at a snails pace, but no, someone with somewhere to be is happy to work on the assumption everyone else will get out of the way. But how you enforce it is beyond me. Community gardai in housing estates? The locals would be on their community WhatsApp group about it in seconds, so everyone would behave for the afternoon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement