Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify UPVC window hinge

Options
  • 02-03-2020 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

15 year old home with UPVC windows. I recently noticed that one the windows is not closing correctly. It appears to the sticking/jumping on the bottom right corner when trying to close.

I have gone through the internet but as I don't know the name of this particular item I am just presented with the standard hinges.

Apologies upfront with regards to the dirt of the window. I honestly had no idea it was this bad.

1st picture shows the corner bracket.
    2nd picture shows the window hinge.

Appreciate if you can help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Hi Folks,

15 year old home with UPVC windows. I recently noticed that one the windows is not closing correctly. It appears to the sticking/jumping on the bottom right corner when trying to close.

I have gone through the internet but as I don't know the name of this particular item I am just presented with the standard hinges.

Apologies upfront with regards to the dirt of the window. I honestly had no idea it was this bad.

1st picture shows the corner bracket.
    2nd picture shows the window hinge.

Appreciate if you can help.
    That is a Munster joinery hinge and they are junk.I replace these almost every day with a standard 90° friction hinges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

As above. I changed all my MJ hinges after 3 years, the new ones are so much better. The supplier told me the MJ hinges only have the standard 1 year guarantee as they are so bad.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Thanks guys.

All of the other windows in the house have these hinges and all are still fine after 15 years.

I contact Munster Joinery based on you identifying the hinge type and they have posted out replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

Thanks guys.

All of the other windows in the house have these hinges and all are still fine after 15 years.

I contact Munster Joinery based on you identifying the hinge type and they have posted out replacements.
    Out of curiosity what did Munster charge you for a pair of the hinges

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

massy086 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity what did Munster charge you for a pair of the hinges

The window opens out to the right, the hinges come in pairs. It was €12 for the set but he said that he would post out both left and right side hinges just to be sure.

It was €15.50 including postage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 ian.kennedy

massy086 wrote: »
    That is a Munster joinery hinge and they are junk.I replace these almost every day with a standard 90° friction hinges.

Hi,
    Is it just a matter of measuring the length, height and width of the MJ hinge and replacing with a standard friction hinge?

Thanks
    Ian

Advertisement