Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soap and hot water

Options
  • 01-03-2020 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

I was in a school for a short course at the weekend. There was no hot water taps and no soap. Is this common or a problem across our public buildings inc schools, considering the current advice around the importance of hand washing?

My views are my own.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Yes this is common. Work in a secondary school. Students have no access to hot water. Teachers occasionally have hot water in the wash hand basins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Hot water is not required to kill bacteria unless it's 100 degrees (boiling point)

Warm water does make for more comfortable washing though.

Soap is required to kill germs and many schools insist pupils bring their own washbag with their own soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,045 ✭✭✭✭neris

Amazing how schools can get away with so much but pre schools and creches cant. If a creche/pre school doesnt have hot water for the children to wash their hands thyre meant to be sent home and the service closed until hot water is available

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

neris wrote: »
    Amazing how schools can get away with so much but pre schools and creches cant. If a creche/pre school doesnt have hot water for the children to wash their hands thyre meant to be sent home and the service closed until hot water is available

School is state funded..... It would cost them money to implement legislation.

Crèche is a private business.

I agree with you, total joke.

In a room of 30 others, germs will spread like wildfire. Basic toilet hygiene is a must.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

neris wrote: »

There might be a very simple explanation. Heating water might be off over the weekend to save money, budgets are exceptionally tight but it’s a problem that’s rarely heard about. Schools don’t open if heating is off, just like crèches.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Crèche is a private business.

Not all of them, community creches receive lots of state funding, so indirectly the tax payer is paying for the hot water ;)

Advertisement