Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas Around IKEA

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Under 300K for a 4 bed, something isn't right IMHO. That said I bought in an area where people were telling me to run a mile and love it, but it's not without it's issues.

Why they decided to specifically photograph a toilet with no seat is beyond me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thargor wrote: »
    I see a lot of houses and duplexes that look very interesting to me price-wise in this area, stuff like this:

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/179-st-margaret-s-road-hampton-wood-finglas-dublin-11/4363581

They're always listed as Finglas but that's Ballymun when you're that close to IKEA isn't it?

Anyway is it very dodgey around there? Is it just an area you should totally avoid when house hunting?

That’s Hampton Wood on the Jamestown Road. It’s Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

It's defo finglas but it's on the border of ballymun and now at the minute building a new road through from ballymun in Hampton wood. I live 5 mins away in another part of finglas and originally from ballymun. Trust me don't buy in Hampton wood it's gone a kip the last few years you will thank me for it..

Try seagrave or lanesborough even

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

It's defo finglas but it's on the border of ballymun and now at the minute building a new road through from ballymun in Hampton wood. I live 5 mins away in another part of finglas and originally from ballymun. Trust me don't buy in Hampton wood it's gone a kip the last few years you will thank me for it..

Can you explain more about that? What's happened in the last few years to turn it into a kip?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Try seagrave or lanesborough even

Lanesborough, Seagrave, Melville are much better estates in my opinion too.

john4321 wrote: »
    Can you explain more about that? What's happened in the last few years to turn it into a kip?

Well that house in the link I know the person selling it and the reason their selling it. And these were the words I was quoted by them "it's party Central and Garda up most nights". I also know others that live in other parts of Hampton wood and also say it's had it's dodgy spell.

But suppose all areas it's happening just telling you what I know about it.. compared to other areas surrounding like the other poster also mentioned they are quieter. I also do evening delivery's also in finglas and surrounding and I personally have noticed it's gotten bad especially around near the centra and new apartments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I don't have any info other than what I've seen from the car or the bus on my way to IKEA, but that was more than enough to scare me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Are you living there yourself? What's it like during the day and night?

• Advertisement

john4321 wrote: »
    Are you living there yourself? What's it like during the day and night?

Are you living there yourself John? What's your opinions on the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It is technically Finglas but most would consider it Ballymun. Either way the price and location say a lot. It isn't a settled and quite area. Both Finglas and Ballymun have had a long time to gentrify and it hasn't happened and doesn't look likely they ever will.

Be careful what you say about Hampton wood.. you might get a private message from a certain user on this about slating the area 😴

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Be careful what you say about Hampton wood.. you might get a private message from a certain user on this about slating the area ��

My favourite memory of the area is the day on st margarets road outside hampton wood, outside the halting site up there, Myself and a taxi driver had to come to a stop to try encourage a child of no more than 2 from not being in the middle of the road, the taxi driver was nice enough to take the child by the hand and lead him into the halting site , he got no further than a pile of rubbish right outside the gate before a creature more resembling ape than man chased him away with a stick screaming something at him, at that point I drove off

happy memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thargor is your interest for living there yourself or as an investment to let out? Latter is do-able but the former I would tread carefully. Hampton Wood and Mayeston Hall across the road have their fair share of anti social problems. Its not the worst area in Finglas but its not great either. Meliville and Lanesborough just down the road are much more settled and quieter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Thargor is your interest for living there yourself or as an investment to let out? Latter is do-able but the former I would tread carefully. Hampton Wood and Mayeston Hall across the road have their fair share of anti social problems. Its not the worst area in Finglas but its not great either. Meliville and Lanesborough just down the road are much more settled and quieter.
    Yes I wouldn't consider being a private landlord anywhere at the minute but I am looking for a house for myself. One of the key features of that house just happens to be that I can get 2 tenants in there to take advantage of the Rent a Room scheme. Really appreciate the local knowledge from everybody thanks, I wasnt even aware there was a halting site in Hampton Wood. Anyone know anything about Melville Cove or is that basically the same area?

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/61-melville-cove-finglas-dublin-11/4406156

Im not in love with Finglas btw, its the prices inside the M50 that caught my eye but I suppose theres a reason for that as said.

My budget is about 320k, I have 50% of that saved as a deposit, I could probably get to 350k at a stretch. I regularly search for Inchicore/Cabra/Crumlin aswell but any bargains there are even more suspicious than Finglas...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Yes I wouldn't consider being a private landlord anywhere at the minute but I am looking for a house for myself. One of the key features of that house just happens to be that I can get 2 tenants in there to take advantage of the Rent a Room scheme. Really appreciate the local knowledge from everybody thanks, I wasnt even aware there was a halting site in Hampton Wood. Anyone know anything about Melville Cove or is that basically the same area?

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/61-melville-cove-finglas-dublin-11/4406156

Im not in love with Finglas btw, its the prices inside the M50 that caught my eye but I suppose theres a reason for that as said.

My budget is about 320k, I have 50% of that saved as a deposit, I could probably get to 350k at a stretch. I regularly search for Inchicore/Cabra/Crumlin aswell but any bargains there are even more suspicious than Finglas...

I'd look at D5 also.

Yea Melville cove is a nice area I found anytime I was near it as is all of Melville I find was nice part

Charlestown estate is also a nice settled spot. Try your budget around there or maybe even McKelvey estate would be even lower on your budget

• Registered Users Posts: 10,031 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Charlestown estate is also a nice settled spot. Try your budget around there or maybe even McKelvey estate would be even lower on your budget

My best friend lives there and is still in significant negative equity. Experiences included multiple tyre slashing incidents, car keyed, all sorts of crap put through the letterbox, bin set on fire, stuff being thrown at windows etc etc. Nothing personal, more that they're an easy target and home is in a prime location for this, and some of the neighbours are not... community minded. Living there about 12 years and would give their right arm to move away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Caranica wrote: »
    My best friend lives there and is still in significant negative equity. Experiences included multiple tyre slashing incidents, car keyed, all sorts of crap put through the letterbox, bin set on fire, stuff being thrown at windows etc etc. Nothing personal, more that they're an easy target and home is in a prime location for this, and some of the neighbours are not... community minded. Living there about 12 years and would give their right arm to move away.
    Charlestown or McKelvey or both?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,031 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Charlestown or McKelvey or both?

Charlestown

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭serox_21

You are exaggerating, living there, and haven't had, heard o this issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Plenty of solid 3beds in Cabra for 350. Source: just bought a 4-bed there for not much more than that.

Inchicore even more so

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Beezasp

Im in a sale on a property close to the centra in hampton wood. What kind of negative experiences have you guys had there in recent months?

I thought all the anti-social stuff had settled down.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

I'm in much the same boat as the OP and was thinking about buying in the area. Would I be right in saying that the conventional wisdom is that Melville / Lanesborough / Seagrave are all ok and some of the others might be hit and miss? Happy to get any feedback by PM, thanks.

Advertisement