Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commuting bag for cycling

Options
  • 29-02-2020 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Anyone any good recommendations for a bag that can fit nice and sturdily (something like a back pack possibly) without moving about whilst cycling. I am planning on cycling to/from work, approx 20km of a cycle and am looking to get a sturdy bag that can take work clothes etc but at the same time not a bag that will move left or right on my back etc.
    TIA!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Hi All,
    Anyone any good recommendations for a bag that can fit nice and sturdily (something like a back pack possibly) without moving about whilst cycling. I am planning on cycling to/from work, approx 20km of a cycle and am looking to get a sturdy bag that can take work clothes etc but at the same time not a bag that will move left or right on my back etc.
    TIA!

I use a Deuter back pack, find them excellent for commuting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I recently got an Ortlieb Commuter City backpack to replace my ageing (but excellent) Deuter.

It's 21L and holds a 15" laptop, change of clothes, lunch, headphones and small toolkit and feels really stable on my back.

Totally waterproof too, which has been nice this past few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭tnegun

I've a black one of these Altura Unisex's Thunderstorm City Backpack Hi-Viz https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HYPJ5HG/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_LBQwEb3ND0QRM

Used daily since October and never let a drop of water in. Compresses down too when not full to a out 20l

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

I got an osprey backpack as a present and it’s been fantastic for the last couple of years. Fits laptop, clothes, toolkit etc. It also has a mesh that suspends the bag away from your back so it’s not too sweaty to wear. Has a hivis rain cover so it never let water in for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

Second osprey

I have a osprey syncro 20 for last 18 months

No issues with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I’ve been using an Ortlieb bag for the past 5 years+ and it’s been excellent. Totally waterproof and has a waist belt and chest strap.
    Cyclestore.ie have them for €73. Ortlieb velocity 24 litre

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Ortlieb commuter. Incredible bag. Worth every penny

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,537 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i keep reading the thread title as 'commuting bad for cycling'. like some ****ty tabloid headline.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I also have a 20k commute and use a Deuter bike bag. It has a mesh back so the bag isn't sitting on your back (I hate a sweaty back) and comfy straps and clasps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

I'm using an Evoc FR Trail (20l) for my commute and it is incredibly comfortable. Loads of handy pockets, plenty of room for laptop, change of clothes etc and comes with a waterproof cover. It's expensive though, and if I hadn't got it through a work scheme it would have been hard to justify the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭comanche_cor

I use this, cannot fault it! Best bag I have every had.

Keys / Wallet / lghts go into front for easy access. Laptop, clothes in to big opening. Water proof, easy to wipe down.

Looks to be plenty durable, can see it lasting many years:

https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/drybag-daypack.html#SID=116

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

I came on here to mention Lomo too. I have a similar model to the one above, although I will say a small hole has developed in the outer shell toward the bottom, it's 18 months old. Still waterproof but not as hardy as an Ortlieb equivalent. Half the price, though, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Matt Bianco

Have used the same Crumpler for twenty years and still going strong - not waterproof (or resistant!) anymore but has always done me right for work or shopping purposes.

A part of me will die when it does ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

A bar bag for me for everyday use. Work clothes travel by pannier once a week. Nothing on my back...

Advertisement