Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

30kwh or 40kwh

Options
  • 28-02-2020 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭

Hi

im thinking of getting a used 30kwh leaf as they seem quite affordable now. However, im weary over the risk of them losing a bar of capacity soon after i get it depending on the mileage.

I understand the early 2016 models are more prone to this issue but what of 2017 onwards?

how long before 1st bar is lost and how frequent diea battery capacity decline afterwards, e.g every 20k, 10k miles?

is the battery capacity covered under warranty from nissan still on 2017 30 kwh leaf

i anticipate ill be doing just under 400kms a month it would still like to go electric as seems like it would save money in the longer term. The majority of that mileage will be trip at least twice a month to visit the inlaws about 60km each way.

Comments

lightspeed wrote: »
    Hi

im thinking of getting a used 30kwh leaf as they seem quite affordable now. However, im weary over the risk of them losing a bar of capacity soon after i get it depending on the mileage.

I understand the early 2016 models are more prone to this issue but what of 2017 onwards?

how long before 1st bar is lost and how frequent diea battery capacity decline afterwards, e.g every 20k, 10k miles?

is the battery capacity covered under warranty from nissan still on 2017 30 kwh leaf

i anticipate ill be doing just under 400kms a month it would still like to go electric as seems like it would save money in the longer term. The majority of that mileage will be trip at least twice a month to visit the inlaws about 60km each way.

How much are you spending on fuel a month, is it really worth your while to change ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

absolutely no way it makes sense to go electric . 400km a day and we are talking!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The 2016 and 2017 L30's are the same from a battery degradation perspective AFAIK.

The 2016 had a software issue which can be fixed for free under warranty.

If you find an L30 from 2016 that suits you, dont be afraid to go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,085 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You are only going to do 400km per month. That's just 3k miles per year in old money! Probably very little need for concern about range or battery degradation.

What's the longest trip you are planning to do in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

With an annual fuel bill in the 500eu range you won't save any money buying an ev. But all cars cost money. If an ev is easily within budget and you normal car spend go for it. No harm, nice cars to drive. But at your mileage there is no economic argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

With that mileage a Leaf would probably outlast you.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭optimal

400 kms per month is very low. Assuming that's not an error, it might be worth thinking if you need a car at all. If going electric I would imagine it might be worth considering a L24? Or something cheaper. If you're thinking about an L30 I don't think I'd be worrying about the battery if I were you. I've a (very) late 2015 with almost 120k km and still 12 bars. You could probably get one that would get you 15 years or so before you would get to to that mileage

Hi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

I am aware of the low mileage i do but i expect in the near future that the 60km each way trip from balbriggan to kells to visit the in laws may become more frequent as my mother in law passed away recently. So we would like to visit more often to see the father in-law.

Also my current car is a 06 diesel golf at 320,000kms with timing belt now due to be done. it costing me about €679 i think on tax for the year so i reckon id save about €1000 or more a year all in. I could get another golf at €10 to €12k but having seen some 2016 30kwh leaf at the €13k price range i think leaf might suit fine as long as it does not lose a few bars of capacity if i get one at 60k or so mileage

I am aware of the low mileage i do but i expect in the near future that the 60km each way trip from balbriggan to kells to visit the in laws may become more frequent

120km is pushing it as is in winter in a L30, unless you drive at or below LeafSpeed (about 90km/h). You could of course plug the car in with the granny cable when you are over at your father-in-law's house for a few hours. In that case you'd be fine with a much cheaper L24 too (2014 from about €9k)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I am aware of the low mileage i do but i expect in the near future that the 60km each way trip from balbriggan to kells to visit the in laws may become more frequent as my mother in law passed away recently. So we would like to visit more often to see the father in-law.

Also my current car is a 06 diesel golf at 320,000kms with timing belt now due to be done. it costing me about €679 i think on tax for the year so i reckon id save about €1000 or more a year all in. I could get another golf at €10 to €12k but having seen some 2016 30kwh leaf at the €13k price range i think leaf might suit fine as long as it does not lose a few bars of capacity if i get one at 60k or so mileage

youll save E500 on motor tax. you will lose 2-3k a year depreciation. if you want to change, all good, but you wont be saving money doing it. But when you do decide to change, yes electric would make sense...

• Advertisement

Idbatterim wrote: »
    you will lose 2-3k a year depreciation

You'd lose no more than half that in depreciation on a 9k L24 per year in the first few years. Less again after.

The conversation is not really worth much if we don't know your budget or did I miss it ?

As long as you know what you're getting into with low range EV, potential long waits at chargers, cold battery charging etc. If you're prepared to put up with this for a few times a year and for unplanned longer trips and the cost of the car is within budget go ahead but I wouldn't spend much more than you normally would.

The leaf does not come with Granny charger so one of these portable "EVSE" would be essential if visiting your Father in law so you can plug in charge over night, unless the 30 Kwh Leaf came with one ? I don't know.

If you can borrow a car for long trips then that would be much better though I don't like driving other People's cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

unkel wrote: »
    120km is pushing it as is in winter in a L30, unless you drive at or below LeafSpeed (about 90km/h). You could of course plug the car in with the granny cable when you are over at your father-in-law's house for a few hours. In that case you'd be fine with a much cheaper L24 too (2014 from about €9k)

Well... just to add to what unkel said - mOH Has just done a 110km round trip in this weather at 70-100km/h and had 24km spare.... very tight winter time... so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

If you were to spend 12k on a second hand Golf, you are really better off getting an L30 for a thousand or two more...
    if you were to spend 20-25k on a second hand EV - iOniq is a better option than the L40 (I really like the L40, but here we are talking about value for money)

Advertisement