Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which degree

Options
  • 28-02-2020 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

Hi
    Maybe someone could give me a bit of advice here. My son is doing the leaving cert this year and he is thinking of doing Engineering in UCD. I not sure if this is the correct option for him based on his strong subjects for the leaving cert. He is doing all higher level and here are the subjects and expected grades
    Maths - H1. Business - H1. Computers -H1/H2. English - H2.
    Physics - H2/H3. Technology - H3. Irish - H3.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

What does he enjoy doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭zetor 4911

spurious wrote: »
    What does he enjoy doing?

The subjects he enjoys are Maths and Business. Outside of that he spends his spare time on the computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭kaahooters

its his decision, let him make it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Boozybooze

Well engineering is mostly maths and physics so would suit him down to the ground.

What do you want him to do? Based on been good at Maths engineering is the obvious choice for him.

I went the computer science route and regret it, wish I did engineering. Have a good job from Computer Science but a part of Me always regrets not doing it, particularly electronic engineering.

I'd stay away from Business degree, but engineering, accountancy and computer Science are all highly employable with good salaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Titclamp

Computer science maybe worth researching.

• Advertisement

Boozybooze wrote: »
    Well engineering is mostly maths and physics so would suit him down to the ground.

What do you want him to do? Based on been good at Maths engineering is the obvious choice for him.

I am leaving it to him to make the decision. Just a bit concerned about the physics as it would not be his best subject and I think physics it a big part of engineering.

zetor 4911 wrote: »
    I am leaving it to him to make the decision. Just a bit concerned about the physics as it would not be his best subject and I think physics it a big part of engineering.

He's still looking at a H2/H3 which will probably be better than most taking the course.

You don't need a H1 in everything.

He's still looking at a H2/H3 which will probably be better than most taking the course.

You don't need a H1 in everything.

Boozybooze wrote: »

I went the computer science route and regret it, wish I did engineering. Have a good job from Computer Science but a part of Me always regrets not doing it, particularly electronic engineering.

I'd stay away from Business degree, but engineering, accountancy and computer Science are all highly employable with good salaries.

He has a preference for electronic engineering.

I failed my pre LC in Physics and did a degree in it :)
    Let him do what he wants to do.

• Advertisement

He has a preference for electronic engineering.

Not as much physics in Electronic as there is Mechanical and Civil.

Nearly every subject involves Maths.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I know many young people who 'liked computers', ended up in Computer Science and it was very much NOT what they were expecting.

He's getting good marks, any chance he would take a year to do a course in one of the areas he thinks he might like, (or a related area, to see the possibilities) rather than heading straight into something?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Wouldnt worry about the physics aspect been little weaker than his maths. There is so many different elements to physics from mechanics to electrical, magnetism, structures, applied physics and so on that it's hard to be comfortable with them all. If he prefers mechanics for instance then mechanical engineering would be a good choice. And so on for the various other aspects. Whilst engineering wont be the highest paying job (still not bad) it is a very in demand qualification and offers a broad range of jobs.
    For instance if just mechanical that is selected, then that can include design, maintenance, project management process development opportunities and others as well. This is the same for all engineering fields. Dont think alot of other careers offer that diversification.
    Electrical is probably the more difficult of the engineering fields imo. But because of this they are probably also in highest demand in industry.
    The generic engineering course would be good before if he wasnt sure which exact field. He might think he would like electrical and then after the first year actually want to do civil or something. Would be good for getting a sense of what each really entails before finalising a selection.

Yea download a electronic engineering circuit book off amazon and see if he will like the material. He might get a shock of what's actually involved with circuits

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post a lot of very helpful information there and I now think he is making the right decision to go the engineering route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

The subjects he enjoys are Maths and Business. Outside of that he spends his spare time on the computer.

Actuarial and/or Financial Maths could be a good course for him if he enjoys Maths and Business.

It's offered in UCD, DCU , UCC , UL and Queens.

Advertisement