Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notes on Baptisms on Roots Ireland?

Options
  • 28-02-2020 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Can i ask please WHO? writes the notes that are added to some baptisms on RI please..can someone in person add the Notes or is it a Priest or Registrar? where does the added info come from..please and Thank You :)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

You need to look at the original image to see. Most of the RC images on Rootsireland have a link to the National Library's images - you will need to navigate to the relevant date though.

There's 2 types of comments I've noticed on Rootsireland.

One is when the transcriber has done something like standardised a spelling: e.g. the actual record says "Patt" but they've made it Patrick in the transcription.
    Some transcribers also note the name of the priest in the comments because the Rootsireland database doesn't have a field for that.
    They also might add in if there was a licence/banns.

The second type is a comment that was noted on the original record by the priest: e.g. illegitimate.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Gloraghgirl

Thank you :-) can i ask one more thing please..if in the notes of a baptism it is added that they Married such and such where and the date yers later.can that info only be added by a priest? or who adds the Marriage info..thanks again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That was usually added by a priest when a 'letter of freedom' was requested by the person. Nice extra info to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Gloraghgirl

Yes It is a Huge Help when found in the notes section i agree :-)
    I have wondered for ages Who? added the extra information though.and Letter of Freedom i have never heard of and will have to google.Thanks a million both of you

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Priests were supposed to add in the marriage info following the Ne Temere decree in 1908. In practice, they didn't often do it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement