Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is an isolator needed for home chargepoint?

Options
  • 27-02-2020 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi,
    I've been getting quotes for installing a home chargepoint, and one electrician insists an isolator is required at the chargepoint as its a "fixed appliance". Reading earlier threads on this it seems there was to be an update to the regulations a few months ago, but I haven't seen a definitive answer. Can anyone clarify the situation, as I'd rather not have one if not absolutely necessary?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 planck26

Apologies, I should have posted this in an existing thread. Mods, could you please delete?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,437 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I had one installed about a month ago, and was told by my installer that it was a new-ish requirement and also insisted one be installed. However, last week a neighbour had a chargepoint installed, by a different installer, and he doesn't have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

Can't answer for certain, but my electrician said he would have to put in a switch when I was wiring.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭KCross

planck26 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've been getting quotes for installing a home chargepoint, and one electrician insists an isolator is required at the chargepoint as its a "fixed appliance". Reading earlier threads on this it seems there was to be an update to the regulations a few months ago, but I haven't seen a definitive answer. Can anyone clarify the situation, as I'd rather not have one if not absolutely necessary?

It seems to be dependent on which electrician you are talking to! :)

I think you should post the question in the electrical forum as the regs did indeed recently change so ask there to get the up to date definitive answer.

They are ugly alright though so I can understand you not wanting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭markpb

We got ours fitted recently and were told one was required. Then our install was randomly checked by SEAI who insisted that, although it was with 2.5m of the charge point, it had to be moved so it was outdoors. The thinking is that anyone must be able to switch it off if there’s a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,371 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Yup, we were getting ours installed and they stuck an isolator switch on the front of our house (required so power can be cut instantly in an emergency). We didn't have the unit at the time, they were just laying cable. Moved the unit to the side of the house instead and the electrician spotted that the unit comes with an rcbo on it, so they removed the isolator switch.

It's a rolec wallpod fyi. Thankfully too, isolator was an ungodly sight

Advertisement