Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote working Salary Home vs Office

Options
  • 27-02-2020 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi All,

Was wondering what other peoples thoughts are on Salary when based in a office vs working remote fulltime?

Would you expect the same Salary if the cost of living varies from where the office is to where your remote working?

When you take into consideration rent savings, commuting costs(and time saved), it would seem acceptable to take a smaller salary than a equal employee who is based in the office.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

Well from any employers perspective, they are saving a good bit of money by not having to pay for a desk and all other things that go with an office (cleaning, coffee/tea, etc.)

Hence if you ask me, I don't think they have to pay you any less if you are working from home or an office. Since you are still getting the same amount of work done. Sure you save some time and money without having to commute, but so does the employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I have worked 2 different WFH jobs. Both companies paid me what I would have made in the office. As tyson619 said, both parties are saving a bit of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

In my opinion, You are paid for the job you do

Where you live, work, distance to work, work from home. etc shouldnt have an effect, you should be paid the same

Your paid for your job

If it started going another way I be worried

You'd have people doing the same roles on different salaries because they work in the office, work from home and sure people with longer commutes than their colleagues would end up arguing for a higher salary given their choice to live X distance from work

So in short, if you work from home or office you should be paid the same

Again, paid for your job you do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Would you expect the same Salary if the cost of living varies from where the office is to where your remote working?

We hire programmers around the world, including locally.

If the cost of living and wages are cheaper in a country, we pay a lower salary.

For example, our Ukrainian programmers get paid less than our British programmers.

If a Ukrainian told us he wants the same salary as a British guy, we'd tell him to get lost, unless he is exceptional.

Advertisement