Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refund on customs PO clearance?

Options
  • 26-02-2020 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hey,Does anyone know if there is a procedure for reclaiming the PO clearance charge on something, also is there any way to avoid this in the future? I felt like I was being mugged by the postman, and it seems a bit unfair/scammy to not have any options.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

What was the charge and what was it for?

If you ordered something from outside the EU, and it got caught by customs, you will get charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,289 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Refund: The actual duty or the fee? Duty can be refunded if you return the item. Fee not.
    Avoid in future: Buy from within the Customs Union, or only low value items otherwise. Courier firms processing fees are often higher, in case you get offered shipping options.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

JohnsKite wrote: »
    Hey,Does anyone know if there is a procedure for reclaiming the PO clearance charge on something, also is there any way to avoid this in the future? I felt like I was being mugged by the postman, and it seems a bit unfair/scammy to not have any options.

two options

1. Arrange your own freight forwarder to import the item and make a customs entry with the correct taric code and then for you to pay the taxes and duties directly. The extra freight costs will be substantial and if you haven't done a customs entry before, this would take you a few hours at the customs house

2. Appoint a customs clearance agent on your behalf and have them do the paperwork. Ensure you have the taric code and copies of the payment and copies of the invoice. The customs agent will pay the vat and duty on your behalf and then you'll pay them those costs + a fee of about €75+ vat

Or pay An Post the €10 clearance fee and have them deliver the item to your door and collect the vat and duty applied by revenue from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭JohnsKite

silver2020 wrote: »
    two options

1. Arrange your own freight forwarder to import the item and make a customs entry with the correct taric code and then for you to pay the taxes and duties directly. The extra freight costs will be substantial and if you haven't done a customs entry before, this would take you a few hours at the customs house

2. Appoint a customs clearance agent on your behalf and have them do the paperwork. Ensure you have the taric code and copies of the payment and copies of the invoice. The customs agent will pay the vat and duty on your behalf and then you'll pay them those costs + a fee of about €75+ vat

Or pay An Post the €10 clearance fee and have them deliver the item to your door and collect the vat and duty applied by revenue from you.

Thanks for the helpful reply. So basically unless I'm importing loads of stuff on a regular basis there's no option, and if I was the options are worse. If only the EU imposed some sort of equivalent effect tax rules on outside imports - direct taxes I'm fine with, but that clearance charge shouldn't be legal with no way to avoid it/reclaim it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Thanks for the helpful reply. So basically unless I'm importing loads of stuff on a regular basis there's no option, and if I was the options are worse. If only the EU imposed some sort of equivalent effect tax rules on outside imports - direct taxes I'm fine with, but that clearance charge shouldn't be legal with no way to avoid it/reclaim it.

They do. Its the price you see in the shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

There is ... set yourself up to clear your own goods with customs ... then you won’t need to pay an post to do it for you ... but you’ll find it easier and cheaper for ad hoc stuff than doing it yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 26,284 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The clearance charge is legal because it's a fee you pay someone to do your tax compliance work for you. You have tax obligations to comply with because you are an importer of dutiable goods, which results in an obligation to pay customs duty. As others have pointed out, you are free to attend to your tax compliance obligations yourself, but it's a massive pain and almost everybody prefers to pay someone else to do it. An Post offers much the cheapest and most convenient service for someone who is occasionally importing only a small amount of goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

If you were doing it yourself, you'd very quickly jump at the €10 fee that an post charge as the work involved takes time and with an post you are benefitting from there inputting systems and the volume they process.

The clearance system is an eu system and if your goods landed in Germany first and then transhipped to here, you'd do the clearance in germany and pay german vat and eu duty rates. (some large companies places do this esp in Rotherdam as it gives better shipping options into Ireland)

After charges, vat and duty you may find that the retail price here is not as bad as you thought - as all those costs are already added in the price.

Advertisement