Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Emergency Calls

  • #1
    Registered Users Posts: 13,868 ✭✭✭✭ Johnboy1951


    I was asked, and could not answer ......

    person setting up VOIP calling using an external provider (think one of the voip discount providers), and they would like to ensure emergency calls will work in their set up.

    I am aware it is not allowed to unnecessarily ring 999/112 so could not help.

    Is there some means of checking the functioning of such numbers in this situation? I haven't found a way ......

    (as you might gather the providers are useless in this regards)


Comments



  • Most VoIP providers will not guarantee 999/112

    Best use an old mobile - even a SIM free mobile will suffice to contact emergency numbers -




  • 65535 wrote: »
    Most VoIP providers will not guarantee 999/112

    Best use an old mobile - even a SIM free mobile will suffice to contact emergency numbers -

    Yes I am aware of that ...... but the question remains ...... can it be tested by any allowed means?




  • According to ComReg, VoIP providers must mention if there are any limitations to calling the emergency services in their terms and conditions. You can try searching searching for the keyword "emergency" on their T&C's page. For example, Skype has a "No Access to Emergency Services...." section and even mentions on the homepage that it can't be used for emergency calling.

    If the VoIP provider has an online control panel, check if there's an emergency number section. This should let you specify the address to provide the emergency services. For example, in my Goldfish VoIP control panel, it has a section where I can update the address to provide the emergency services if I call 112 or 999.




  • editorsean wrote: »
    According to ComReg, VoIP providers must mention if there are any limitations to calling the emergency services in their terms and conditions. You can try searching searching for the keyword "emergency" on their T&C's page. For example, Skype has a "No Access to Emergency Services...." section and even mentions on the homepage that it can't be used for emergency calling.

    If the VoIP provider has an online control panel, check if there's an emergency number section. This should let you specify the address to provide the emergency services. For example, in my Goldfish VoIP control panel, it has a section where I can update the address to provide the emergency services if I call 112 or 999.

    I doubt Comreg has any influence on external providers.
    Apparently there is nothing to be found regarding emergency calls from the providers settings.

    All is wanted is to know if 999/112 might work, and how it might be possible to test it one way or another.




  • I finally got info ...... it is one of the Delmont providers ....... I use one here and mine (Freevoipdeal) has the following on their site
    Dellmont does not support or carry any emergency calls/services.

    So the simple answer to the query I received is NO, and there is no known way to test.

    I am now somewhat intrigued :)

    I now wonder if dialing 999 would work :D


  • Advertisement


  • You can dial 112 and/or 999 - tell them it is just a test call - they will ask you for your initials - why I don't know but they do.




  • 65535 wrote: »
    You can dial 112 and/or 999 - tell them it is just a test call - they will ask you for your initials - why I don't know but they do.

    Naw, not me ....... they have enough to deal with besides me mucking about.




  • Yes I am aware of that ...... but the question remains ...... can it be tested by any allowed means?

    Yes, you can ring them and inform them it is a test call to ensure the service is reachable.




  • Yes, you can ring them and inform them it is a test call to ensure the service is reachable.

    Is that allowed?
    I would need to be certain before I would suggest it to anyone.
    Is there any reference to this that I could pass on (to cover my ass ;) ).




  • How do you think it is tested by organisations for example when the get a new phone system or when they have a fire drill or a medical emergency drill


  • Advertisement


  • Is that allowed?
    I would need to be certain before I would suggest it to anyone.
    Is there any reference to this that I could pass on (to cover my ass ;) ).

    Yeah, I used to manage projects testing new phones in several countries. In all of them, including Ireland, you just rang the emergency number and informed them it was a test. If you were doing a few you gave them a heads up but it wasn't a big deal. That said, I always asked my testers to contact a nonemergency number ahead of time if it was possible. BT run ours, you can reach them here to arrange a test if you want -
    [email protected]




  • I'll get more details later but calling and telling them it's a test call is not right, you must first inform them that test calls will be made, a time frame is given and as posted above they will ask your initials.

    I'm not sure if initial contact is via a geo number or email but I'll find out.




  • This is it wrote: »
    I'll get more details later but calling and telling them it's a test call is not right, you must first inform them that test calls will be made, a time frame is given and as posted above they will ask your initials.

    I'm not sure if initial contact is via a geo number or email but I'll find out.

    That's always been the policy but up until 5 years ago at least they didn't didn't seem to care about it, the email to contact them is in my previous post.




  • Yeah, I used to manage projects testing new phones in several countries. In all of them, including Ireland, you just rang the emergency number and informed them it was a test. If you were doing a few you gave them a heads up but it wasn't a big deal. That said, I always asked my testers to contact a nonemergency number ahead of time if it was possible. BT run ours, you can reach them here to arrange a test if you want -
    [email protected].

    Thank you I now have solid information to pass on ...... information I was unaware of previously, so I too have learned from this.

    From this page (near bottom of page) comes the below quote
    https://www.btireland.com/ecas
    Enquiries about testing new Voice over IP installations

    Organisations may need to contact ECAS to verify that new VoIP installations (PBXs) can call 112/999. if your company is implementing a new VoIP switch we suggest that you test 999 and 112 calls to ECAS by contacting [email protected]

    Thanks to all for your posts.


Advertisement