Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Wexford cycles

Options
  • 25-02-2020 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭

Hi all

We are heading to Wexford tomorrow for a night and will have a day to go for a cycle. Can anyone recommend some nice cycles heading out of Wexford Town?

Something not too strenuous ideally, but at a nice pace. Good views even better!!

Ideally mostly off road if possible. We've a hotel in the town booked.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭saccades

Hi all

We are heading to Wexford tomorrow for a night and will have a day to go for a cycle. Can anyone recommend some nice cycles heading out of Wexford Town?

Something not too strenuous ideally, but at a nice pace. Good views even better!!

Many thanks!

If you can get to rosslare, eurovelo1 is quite nice along chunks of the coast to Waterford. I've not found much off road stuff, bit of a trail along the coast. The roads are not too busy tbf.

A further hike is the Waterford Greenway, exactly what you are asking fir, best end is the one furthest away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

if you time the tide right, you can go nearly the whole way along the coast from Rosslare to Kilmore Quay, there is a walking track just up off the beach, so you can hope up to that. It is narrow though so obviously give way to other walkers, bits are on laneways, bits on the beach, bits through fields. I have done it by foot from Carne but it would be doable with a MTB or CX bike

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

CramCycle wrote: »
    I have done it by foot from Carne but it would be doable with a MTB or CX bike

Beg to differ......I've tried a long stretch east of Kilmore Quay on a CX bike (32's) and the coarse sand base in the dunes is too soft to anything other than a fatbike IMO

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Beg to differ......I've tried a long stretch east of Kilmore Quay on a CX bike (32's) and the coarse sand base in the dunes is too soft to anything other than a fatbike IMO

There is a walkway just up from the beach for most of it, not sure I had to go on the dunes but I covered most of it without issue. As you start at the pier in Carne there is a small turn off almost hidden where you can walk around if the tide is high, that first few metres isn't rideable but the rest of it is. One or two points where farmers have put in walk through access to stop cattle getting out but walkers through that you have to hop off and sidle through but not many. If you look on google maps you can see it when you zoom in close. It isn't a straight line but where the beach isn't suitable you can use that path. Are you on about where it is basically small pebbles along the southside of Carne? You can come out of that and go along the laneways there to the next section IMO. I rode it on my daughters BSO without too much hassle other than how stupid i look,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

There is a walkway just up from the beach for most of it, not sure I had to go on the dunes but I covered most of it without issue. As you start at the pier in Carne there is a small turn off almost hidden where you can walk around if the tide is high, that first few metres isn't rideable but the rest of it is. One or two points where farmers have put in walk through access to stop cattle getting out but walkers through that you have to hop off and sidle through but not many. If you look on google maps you can see it when you zoom in close. It isn't a straight line but where the beach isn't suitable you can use that path. Are you on about where it is basically small pebbles along the southside of Carne? You can come out of that and go along the laneways there to the next section IMO. I rode it on my daughters BSO without too much hassle other than how stupid i look,

Ah yeah, Carne harbour to Carnsore Point is grand, it is more over from Ladys Island lake to Kilmore I was on about, no cycle-able coastal path along that stretch so best to keep to the roads, these are narrow though....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

Hi all

Many thanks![/QUOTe
    out rosslare road . turn for kilmore quay after kilmore quay head for duncormick then carrig on bannow then wellington bridge . some nice coastal views .. dont come straigt back to town from wellingtonbridge , road is lethal . head for foulksmills , tagmon and then wexford . you could go over Forth mountain after tagmon [about 8km] just turn right at filling station before the main New ross road.
    there is also a group leaves the maldron hotel at 10 ,tues thurs and sat bit hit and miss with speed and how many turn up .

if you time the tide right, you can go nearly the whole way along the coast from Rosslare to Kilmore Quay, there is a walking track just up off the beach, so you can hope up to that. It is narrow though so obviously give way to other walkers, bits are on laneways, bits on the beach, bits through fields. I have done it by foot from Carne but it would be doable with a MTB or CX bike
    there's no cycling signs up in places on the dunes between carne and kilmore

there's no cycling signs up in places on the dunes between carne and kilmore

Are they new? I have walked it many times and often meet the same lad out on a BSO taking a spin. Only cycled it once about 5 years ago

Are they new? I have walked it many times and often meet the same lad out on a BSO taking a spin. Only cycled it once about 5 years ago
    could be new i spotted them last year and their is only a couple , it would be easy miss them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭secman

Not off road, but going across bridge on the quays and out towards Castlebridge, take the right turn for Curracloe and head along the coast road through Curracloe, Blackwater , Kilmuckridge, nice coffee shop there , Katies..bike friendly and head back same route. It looks and feels a different route for each direction due to the twisting and rolling roads. Some lovely views too. Best part of 60km.
    Beauty of that spin is you could extend it to Ballygarrett or even Courtown. Or indeed shorten it....highly unlikely though :)

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    Not off road, but going across bridge on the quays and out towards Castlebridge, take the right turn for Curracloe and head along the coast road through Curracloe, Blackwater , Kilmuckridge, nice coffee shop there , Katies..bike friendly and head back same route. It looks and feels a different route for each direction due to the twisting and rolling roads. Some lovely views too. Best part of 60km.
    Beauty of that spin is you could extend it to Ballygarrett or even Courtown. Or indeed shorten it....highly unlikely though :)
    ya . nice spin that

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭paul mountainbike

Head out to New Ross , by car then Carrick Byrne has some good tracks n Trails to fill a morning or afternoon , n fair bit of history interest with the old Judges road .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Bit of a trek but if you could drive to St Mullins you could do the barrow way. All off road, no traffic, wind would be mitigated.

Advertisement