Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot press without thermostat?

Options
  • 25-02-2020 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi all,

Sorry for the bother about the different post. You guys are being my last hope.

My hot press has not a thermostat or timer. My f... plumber said that it might be good to have one so once the water reaches 65ºC, it stops automatically so water doesn't start boiling.

There are switchers there which makes me think they are immersion switch however the plumber said it is not. It should say sink and bath...

Is this an immersion switch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,803 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That's your immersion switch.

But the immersion itself should have a built in stat for shutoff. You could replace that switch with a timer instead allows you to put it on for a certain amount of time.

There's also smart controls that offer the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Kaldo

listermint wrote: »
    That's your immersion switch.

But the immersion itself should have a built in stat for shutoff. You could replace that switch with a timer instead allows you to put it on for a certain amount of time.

There's also smart controls that offer the same thing.

Thanks! Sorry what you mean by "should have a built in stat for shutoff"? From what I understand, the switch in the left would be for ON/OFF and the right for Bath/Sink. Dunno which one is which tho. I understand when this is ON, the hot press gets heated by electricity instead of the gas boiler.

The timer is a good idea for sure. A thermostat would also be necessary?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

The element will have a thermostat built in under the cover.

You could put in a timer or a smart one to have better control.

Ah ok! Sorry... I understood the thermostat was necessary to be "in contact" with the hot press instead of where the switcher is.

Kaldo wrote: »
    Ah ok! Sorry... I understood the thermostat was necessary to be "in contact" with the hot press instead of where the switcher is.

No, you would not put a thermostat on the wall on this scenario.

Personally I'd get a smart control and have freedom to set times or turn it on remotely

• Advertisement

This smart control would use electricity to heat up the water instead of gas, right? I mean... let's say for summer time when heating is not necessary so I don't need to use the gas boiler.

This smart control would use electricity to heat up the water instead of gas, right? I mean... let's say for summer time when heating is not necessary so I don't need to use the gas boiler.

It's the same as your current switch except electronic and connected to the internet so you can use smartphone

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Itll just be controlling the immersion, which is always with the electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If you have a central heating and hot water separator then you can go this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

One thing I notice I have a timer on my immersion. Boosting for 30 mins on the electricity gives you about 1/4 of a tank of hot water, whereas during summer putting on gas boiler (with rads closed via thermostats turned to zero) gives me nearly a full tank of hot water which last nearly the day. Might be more economical to use the gas boiler even in summer :cool:
    (now the difference to run the boiler for 1 hour verses the electricity for 30 mins i dont know but i think its more economical if you use a lot of water (family));)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

listermint wrote: »
    No, you would not put a thermostat on the wall on this scenario.

Personally I'd get a smart control and have freedom to set times or turn it on remotely

Why wouldnt an immersion stat be on the cylinder?
    Or are you saying the display is on the wall but the stat/input is on the cylinder. (For clarity for the OP)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

The short answer is you don't need a thermostat with an immersion, it won't just keep heating till it boils the water, there will be a built in cut off in the immersion itself.

A timer is very handy, although not strictly necessary either. I would definitely recommend one though. You can buy them programmable, with a boost function, for about 25 or 30 quid, and then just leave the switches where they are (turned on) and wire the timer in before them, so that the timer controls the power going to the switch.

What has me puzzled though, is why do you keep your vinegar in the hot press?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

The short answer is you don't need a thermostat with an immersion, it won't just keep heating till it boils the water, there will be a built in cut off in the immersion itself.

A timer is very handy, although not strictly necessary either. I would definitely recommend one though. You can buy them programmable, with a boost function, for about 25 or 30 quid, and then just leave the switches where they are (turned on) and wire the timer in before them, so that the timer controls the power going to the switch.

What has me puzzled though, is why do you keep your vinegar in the hot press?:D

Timer was one of the best things we ever fitted . our immersion switch like most was located in the hotpress and i would say at least twice per week the immersion was left on for HOURS :eek::eek::eek:
    Got one of these fitted and wired through to the wall outside of the hotpress to the landing. One quick push button and you have 30 mins boost and cuts off automatically. :D
    https://www.alertelectrical.com/sangamo-powersaver-timer-boost-switch-psb.html
    i picked this as throught was most asthetically pleasing as its visible on landing. great yoke

i bet the vinegar is for cleaning purposes

Advertisement