Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical Priority Housing Application HELP!

Options
  • 25-02-2020 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I posted here back in 2017 about applying for Medical Priority on the Dublin City Council Housing list.

I was accepted onto the housing list but not onto Medical Priority. I have been fighting it ever since and today - I called them to find out what was happening with my application. They said they sent me a letter (which never actually arrived) and that I had been denied.

I had an assessor out to my house in December and he said he felt I had a very strong case and that he believed I would be accepted onto the medical priority list.

I am bummed now.

You guys mentioned in the previous thread that getting TD would be beneficial. My local TD has just been re-elected into the Dail and I'm wondering should I go down the route? I'm also considering getting a private OT involved. My HSE OT's letter didn't suffice.

My pain management consultant has left the hospital that I was attending, so I don't have him to write a letter for me.

I'm just at a loss here - any suggestions? Has anyone been in this situation?

Ps. I have Fibromyalgia and Arthritis, for the last 11 years and progressively getting worse.

I live in a council house, 2-storey terraced, with my mother and she's the tenant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,065 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

In the current housing crisis TDs can do very little. Your application will have gone to a medical examiner to make the decision and the only way to appeal that is with more evidence.

I think with conditions like yours the wrong examiner can not realise how difficult life is. I have a joint issue and one consultant basically said to me that he sees people all day every day with worse problems. I switched consultants and had surgery pretty quickly where it turned out my issue was even bigger. Just a matter of getting the right person. Unfortunately you don't get to choose who reviews your application.

BTW I know at least one Council area that will only consider applications with consultant letters, gp isn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭bellz_x

Caranica wrote: »
    In the current housing crisis TDs can do very little. Your application will have gone to a medical examiner to make the decision and the only way to appeal that is with more evidence.

I think with conditions like yours the wrong examiner can not realise how difficult life is. I have a joint issue and one consultant basically said to me that he sees people all day every day with worse problems. I switched consultants and had surgery pretty quickly where it turned out my issue was even bigger. Just a matter of getting the right person. Unfortunately you don't get to choose who reviews your application.

BTW I know at least one Council area that will only consider applications with consultant letters, gp isn't enough.

Thank you for that - I had a feeling that was going to be the case, I am going to have a chat with my TD and see if she has any suggestions on what would be the best way to go about it.

It's been a struggle to even get to see my consultants lately, the waiting lists are insane - which I know is the case for a lot of people.
    My old consultant said "There's nothing else I can do for you" - so I want to see a different one who may be able to help some.

I had consultant letters, gp letter and OT letter but apparently that wasn't enough because there wasn't enough information in them. I really don't know what they expect. If they gave clearer outlines, that would be helpful but I know that will never be the case.

If only the medical assessors would come out and see the people themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

bellz_x wrote: »
    Thank you for that - I had a feeling that was going to be the case, I am going to have a chat with my TD and see if she has any suggestions on what would be the best way to go about it.

It's been a struggle to even get to see my consultants lately, the waiting lists are insane - which I know is the case for a lot of people.
    My old consultant said "There's nothing else I can do for you" - so I want to see a different one who may be able to help some.

I had consultant letters, gp letter and OT letter but apparently that wasn't enough because there wasn't enough information in them. I really don't know what they expect. If they gave clearer outlines, that would be helpful but I know that will never be the case.

If only the medical assessors would come out and see the people themselves.

Did you write a letter yourself outlining how you struggle? I found that really helped on top of the official medical stuff.

nothing wrote: »
    Did you write a letter yourself outlining how you struggle? I found that really helped on top of the official medical stuff.

I did originally write a letter but I'm going to write another one and hopefully, it'll be more detailed. I will write a long one, hopefully enough to bore them to the point of tears!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,065 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Some councils have forms for doctors to fill in rather than just send letters. Recently saw one for one of the Dublin councils. Asks questions like how being housed would improve/assist your medical situation. Would be much more helpful than a letter, ask your council if they have them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Your still in for a stupid long wait to be housed ,

Have you looked into maybe getting your parents house adapted or extended through the council

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So sorry, OP. I gave up re the council as CFS.ME does not warrant support apparently and fibromyalgia tends to be seen in the same category. Totally wrong. Wishing you well on this. I stumbled across an empty council property in a very remote place where "there is no call for social housing" .

Hey guys - thank you so much for your replies.
    Just a little update, I've been in touch with a private OT (costing a lottt!) but he's coming to visit me on Tuesday, assess the house and my needs and will do a thorough report. I visited with my local TD today and she said it's appalling the way people are treated when it comes to rehousing (the runaround they get, etc.). I agree with her.
    She is writing a letter on my behalf.
    I've requested all my medical records from my GP, which I should have by Tuesday.
    I have all my medical records from the hospital, which I am going to photocopy and attach to my appeal, along with photographs of my house and show *why* the house doesn't work for me.

Unfortunately, adapting the house isn't really an option. We don't have the space to adapt it. Although, it would be amazing to be able to live at home forever (hehe!)

I'm not sure what else I'm going to do, apart from keep e-mailing my consultants and trying to get more information from them. One of my consultants receptionists recently wrote back to me and told me I had been discharged from the clinic (without my knowledge) - so I don't know what to do about that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭gussieg

Hope you got somewhere with this, thanks for your kind wishes, this was just before first lockdown, really hope you got somewhere good.

Advertisement