Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scart to HDMI ?

• 25-02-2020 5:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭

Scart to HDMI ?

Hi all.

I do a bit of home recording with a camcorder, and I then transfer to dvd, via a dvd recorder.
    The recorder has no HDMI connecter, so it has to be done via scart connection.

There is a HDMI imput on the camera, and when watching the footage back via the hdmi , the quality is better than with scart.

Is there a box/converter available to enable a HDMI plug to be used to transfer from the camera to the recorder?

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭secman

greenspurs wrote: »
    Scart to HDMI ?

Hi all.

I do a bit of home recording with a camcorder, and I then transfer to dvd, via a dvd recorder.
    The recorder has no HDMI connecter, so it has to be done via scart connection.

There is a HDMI imput on the camera, and when watching the footage back via the hdmi , the quality is better than with scart.

Is there a box/converter available to enable a HDMI plug to be used to transfer from the camera to the recorder?

Good luck with that, i searched high and low fir one on Ebay about a year ago, was easier to find an old scart fed printer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

its even hard to find a dvd recorder now !!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

If I understand correctly you want to use the HDMI output from the camcorder connected to the scart input of the dvd recorder ? If so then an adapter like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neoteck-Converter-Output-Adapter-Composite-HDMI-SCART/dp/B01GFPCHYA/ref=sr_1_3?adgrpid=58681346632&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsaCAm4Dw5wIVzLHtCh1lEQVpEAAYASAAEgKrm_D_BwE&hvadid=291284173368&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1007850&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=8419901846977434348&hvtargid=kwd-314780285466&hydadcr=7519_1790288&keywords=hdmi+to+scart+converter+for+tv&qid=1582747056&sr=8-3

I haven't used one of these, it just turned up when I searched, but there's loads of similar adapters available.

Cheers,

Ritz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

But if you’re converting to analogue via scart, you’re losing the quality.

I can’t help but think there are easier ways of doing this,

What is the model number of the camcorder, and how does it store the footage?

Do you have a PC or laptop?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    But if you’re converting to analogue via scart, you’re losing the quality.

I can’t help but think there are easier ways of doing this,

What is the model number of the camcorder, and how does it store the footage?

Do you have a PC or laptop?
    im going from a hd Panasonic camcorder to a dvd recorder via a scart lead.
    The resulting quality on the dvds isn't great.

But when you watch the footage on a tv direct from the camcorder using a hdmi cable. the quality is very good.

Its stored on the camcorder on a memory card .
    I have a laptop.

• Advertisement

The Ritz wrote: »
    If I understand correctly you want to use the HDMI output from the camcorder connected to the scart input of the dvd recorder ? If so then an adapter like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neoteck-Converter-Output-Adapter-Composite-HDMI-SCART/dp/B01GFPCHYA/ref=sr_1_3?adgrpid=58681346632&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsaCAm4Dw5wIVzLHtCh1lEQVpEAAYASAAEgKrm_D_BwE&hvadid=291284173368&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1007850&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=8419901846977434348&hvtargid=kwd-314780285466&hydadcr=7519_1790288&keywords=hdmi+to+scart+converter+for+tv&qid=1582747056&sr=8-3

I haven't used one of these, it just turned up when I searched, but there's loads of similar adapters available.

Cheers,

Ritz.

But doesn't the transfer from analogue to hd cause problems?
    Cant be done ?? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

im going from a hd Panasonic camcorder to a dvd recorder via a scart lead.
    The resulting quality on the dvds isn't great.

But when you watch the footage on a tv direct from the camcorder using a hdmi cable. the quality is very good.

Its stored on the camcorder on a memory card .
    I have a laptop.

Insert the memory card into the side of your laptop, there should be a slot.

If there isn't you can buy a USB 3 SD & Micro SD holder for the card for about a fiver (this can also be used to play on most TV's that have a USB slot - depending on the format the Camcorder is recording in).

For playing on the laptop, Install Free VLC - it will play most formats.

sugarman wrote: »
    This.

Then you can just burn it to a disc if you want to store it / play it back on the DVD player if you wanted to view it on a TV.

He doesnt even need to burn to a disc. He can just store the files on his laptop. Or if he just wants to play it backon the TV, sure he can use one of those SD to USB adaptors and play it back directly on his TV.

I think those panasonic camcorders record in H264 in an MP4 container, which most TV's will play straight off a usb stick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I wouldn't expect his tv to read from a USB.

I wouldn't expect his tv to read from a USB.

Why is that ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

STB. wrote: »
    Why is that ?

He never said what he has.

He never said what he has.

So why wouldn't you "expect his tv to read from a USB then".

He has a TV that has a HDMI. That's all we know.

Would transferring all the footage to an external Hard drive be an option?

I have about 50hrs of footage, and some of the early dvds (about13 yrs old) aren't such good quality.

Would transferring all the footage to an external Hard drive be an option?

I have about 50hrs of footage, and some of the early dvds (about13 yrs old) aren't such good quality.

Is there a particular reason you are using a dvd player/recorder at all ?

Certainly storing something on an external drive to either play on a TV directly or for archiving should be considered.

What type of file sizes are the video files ? If they are large, format the external hard drive in NTFS so you wont hit the 4g per file limit

To be honest, I'm surprised that you are converting it to DVD and jumping through hoops (looking for digital to analogue solutions to watch) when you have the digital source files on the camcorder. There are free editing programs like Lightworks that allow you edit content etc.

The only limitation that might exist with playing the original back on your TV directly from the HDD is the frame rate, but I'm almost certain it will be fine. What is the model camcorder and what model TV do you have ?

Advertisement