Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are TK maxx seconds

Options
  • 25-02-2020 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

Are TK maxx seconds or how to tell if they are. i think some are. My friend got a denim shirt with some studs broken but he only wanted for work and got it cheap and he knew so no problem.

But how do you tell if something you want to wear for 'good' wear is new

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

None of their stock is second hand, if that's what you mean? It's usually last season or like your friend might have some buttons missing or a broken zip but that's how you can get things far cheaper in many cases than their RRP. I

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

If their items are damaged, they will or should (like any other store) mark down the price unless there is another in the same size. If your friend didn't notice until they got home, I think (not 100%) that they have 7 days to return it.

But they are not an outlet if that's what you mean. They don't sell damaged or inferior goods. AFAIK, they have to brand themselves as an outlet if that was the case - E.G. Kildare Outlet, but I am not 100% how that applies in Ireland. For example, I believe MandMdirect to be an outlet, but they don't advertise as such, and the clothes they sell can often be very poorly made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Bloody sure they are (well some stuff is). Try a large and its xtra small. Try a small and its xxl. Stitching mistakes, zippers breaking after a month, stitching coming away on coats after a few wears.

I've shares in the Zipyard at this stage, but generally worth it.

Its all new though, albeit some of the stuff is from 15 seasons ago and dragged from a warehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

I bought shoes there's last week, Adidas ones and they were labeled as seconds. I've been shopping there years and it's the first time I've seen that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

None of their stock is second hand, if that's what you mean? It's usually last season or like your friend might have some buttons missing or a broken zip but that's how you can get things far cheaper in many cases than their RRP. I
    I meant "seconds" as do not make it through quality control not second hand as in bought from people who wore them. I think some are and my friend said someone said if they are they are marked but i cannot recall how. My friend the studs would not have passed QC but as long as people know that is why that one was cheaper it is OK

• Advertisement

I bought shoes there's last week, Adidas ones and they were labeled as seconds. I've been shopping there years and it's the first time I've seen that.
    how do they label them as seconds? is the word 'seconds' on the price tag

That is what I meant. they would have been shoes that would not have passed QC not worn and sold

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

TK Maxx sell a variety of products, some are their own brands, others are more well known brands out of season or lines specifically designed to be sold by TK Maxx.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I meant "seconds" as do not make it through quality control not second hand as in bought from people who wore them.

Sorry I was confused by this question in your OP;

TBH I've never had an issue with the quality of stuff I've bought in TK Maxx and I've bought rakes of stuff in there. You have to use common sense though, if you're getting a pair of shoes that retail for €200+ for €60 then there has to be something going ob - either it's old stock or there's a defect. You have to look at it to see if it's worth the discount and possibly the cost of fixing it yourself. Some brands just use crappy hardware - there's a brand of vintage reproduction clothes whose zips break all the time. It's just whatever brand they use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

The simply sell B graded items from Quality Control.

Nearly all brand name outlets do the same like Kildare Village.

( A ) grade go to Retailers.

I dont think it is all B grade

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I dont think it is all B grade

No. I think many items are last season stuff also

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

In my opinion there are definitely seconds being sold in TK....Maybe not all items, but definitely some.

In my experience, you are more likely to get something with a slightly dodgy zip, or a thread loose.

I still shop there, as it has nice stuff every once and a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

A lot of the items are brands owned by TK Maxx with inflated RRPs.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭venusdoom

Something isn't right there anyway, whether they are seconds or don't meet standards, I don't know. I bought a camera for my sons Christmas present, was wrapping it two days before the big day and saw a sticker saying Refurbished on it. Didn't say anything about it being refurbished when I bought it. Wasn't too happy but had to go with it as was too late to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,897 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

A lot of outlet clothes are made specifically for outlet. Kildare Village is the only outlet I've been to in Ireland, but in the UK and US there's definately a difference in quality, not just finish.
    Cheaper materials, buttons, zips etc.
    venusdoom wrote: »
    Something isn't right there anyway, whether they are seconds or don't meet standards, I don't know. I bought a camera for my sons Christmas present, was wrapping it two days before the big day and saw a sticker saying Refurbished on it. Didn't say anything about it being refurbished when I bought it. Wasn't too happy but had to go with it as was too late to return.

Wouldn't be too happy myself, but refurbished stuff is nearly always as good as new.

so long as they label them its ok.I don't know how this label works, is it on the price label?

Anyway i found a different source for my item where i know it is new

Here is what they say in an email
    The vast majority of product we sell is brand name merchandise sold at up to 60% less than the prices at traditional department or high street retailers or the Recommended Retail Price (RRP).

As well as selling big names and designer labels, we also have top high street brands, up and coming labels, stylish fashion, one off gems.

A tiny fraction of the branded products we sell are high quality seconds. We buy these when our buyers believe that the product has real inherent value and of course when we can offer an outstanding price to bring our shoppers axing value.

These items are clearly marked on the swing ticket so our customers can make an informed choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are TK maxx seconds or how to tell if they are. i think some are. My friend got a denim shirt with some studs broken but he only wanted for work and got it cheap and he knew so no problem.

They genreally own most the brands they sell and often the things were never sold at the prices claimed.

Some are diffusion products as in a line of cheap products designed by a higher end who wouldn’t sell the product is a higher cost store.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Maybe originally, but now a days there’s far to much outlets to stock b grades products in the outlet stores.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ted1 wrote: »
    Maybe originally, but now a days there’s far to much outlets to stock b grades products in the outlet stores.

There's Outlet-grade manufacturing also (as mentioned a few posts ago); lower quality materials or quicker manufacturing processes.

You really notice this with quality of some of the remaining 'real' brands in Sports Direct (as opposed to Mike Ashley's owned ones). Only Adidas runners I've ever had where the insole fell apart before the outer looked worn were Sports Direct, because they were provided with cheaper stock using cheaper materials. Calvin Klein jocks bought there get tatty after about ten washes whereas some I bought in the Dutch equivalent of Brown Thomas (same owners even) some years before are still fine. I'm actually surprised at the brands that are willing to do this; e.g. the Diesel in Sports Direct is the actual Italian brand and not Montex the Irish-owned knockoff.

Underperforming lines and end of season get dumped to outlets also. Nike in Blanchardstown often has an extremely limited range of product with vast quantities of specific lines/themes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement