Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking Career Guidance in Recruitment Agencies (IT)

Options
  • 24-02-2020 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Guys, is it a good idea to seek career guidance form the recruitment agencies?
    If yes, which agencies would you recommend, say in the IT field?

I am also thinking about finding a career coach, but would like to explore what agencies could say about me & my future career options.
    Have been in the same company for 9 years and didn't have much exposure to the agencies in that time...
    I assume you contact them, providing your employment preferences & they tell you YES/NO or provide some alternatives.

Are they willing to spend time with you exploring what would be best for your given your professional experience, skills & future potential?
    OR is it purely money driven business & they will offer you anything that gets them money, disregarding the above points & your long term career plans?

Any tips will be much appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You seem to have a big misunderstanding of the purpose of recruitment agencies....

They are not there to help you with career advice... they are there to help employers find bodies end of...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You'll be lucky if they know anything about IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Yes, it can help to determine what fields you would be willing to invest some time in - like if your were thinking of going down the BI or Data Science route, a good recruiter can help give you some insights into the realities of the market at the moment and what earning potential might be.
    They won't sit down and help craft your career though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gutgat

Diceicle wrote: »
    Yes, it can help to determine what fields you would be willing to invest some time in - like if your were thinking of going down the BI or Data Science route, a good recruiter can help give you some insights into the realities of the market at the moment and what earning potential might be.
    They won't sit down and help craft your career though.
    Thanks - appreciate it
    Do you maybe have any agencies in mind?

Advertisement