Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car has been reported as abandoned

Options
  • 24-02-2020 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi, just wondering if anyone has come across something like this before? I got a letter from the council saying my car has been reported as an abandoned vehicle.

I park in the surplus spots on end of the road I have lived in for 5 years, I have owned the same car whole time I have lived here. It's an established neighbourhood so not a lot of new people/renters/etc. so the neighbours usually know who owns what car.

I only drive it at weekends since I bus to work so doesn't move Mon to Fri. but do drive around a good bit a weekends and it's often gone whole weekend. It also moves from spot to spot depending on what spots free when I return. I do have a preferred spot for parking in.

All my discs are up to date!!! Car is a 03 reg but in perfect condition.

Just concerned as feel it's very sinister I find a cash for cars leaflet under my wiper same week I receive this letter, is my car getting staked out to be stolen? I see the council posts a list of abandoned vehicles on their website.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭H.20v3

I would contact them and.tell them the score

• Registered Users Posts: 81,471 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

With fully valid discs and parked in a legal space I'd sue them for harrasment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Oy thing I'd be worried about is the cat been taken off it....

Obviously someone doesn't like you taking a spot all week.

Can you park it closer to yours?

Just contact the council back stating you pay motor tax and insurance and have the car NCT and it's fully road legal.

They usually don't bother unless the registration are missing.

Could you move it once or twice during the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I'd be pretty certain one of these scrap companies are going to steal your car.
    It happens regularly and all they need to get away with it is a scrap dealer who turns a blind eye.
    There was a thread here a few years back where it was believed a w124 mercedes was disappeared in such a fashion.

mickdw wrote: »
    It happens regularly and all they need to get away with it is a scrap dealer who turns a blind eye.
    There was a thread here a few years back where it was believed a w124 mercedes was disappeared in such a fashion.

They'll steal his house too if he goes on holiday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 eerie_me

Only received the letter Friday evening so waiting until office opens in the morning to contact them. Just very concerned that someone has been taking photos of my property and sending to the council. Also travel occasionally with work so hope they keep some sort of records because if it happens again while I'm away won't be able to respond in time before they action.

Also insulted that my beautiful but slightly aged car which usually gets compliments now gets a notice from them saying where I can dispose of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,471 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I pass a car each day that has not been taxed, insured, NCT'd in 5 years, 2 tyres are flat on a road with only onstreet parking. Some people are more equal than others.

It's a neighbour that wants the space, this happens a lot where people become attached to spots and believe even outside their own home on a public road that it's theirs.

Don't worry about the council, they won't take a car that's fully road legal, if all the discs were out then eventually they might if they got no answer.

Them ethnic minorities are always at that craic, sure they're watching my house as vRS is parked up, knocked in and all.

If I was selling it wouldn't you think sure maybe I'd put a sign on it or advertise online.....

They can fcuk right off.

mickdw wrote: »
    Yes, this is exactly what I'm worried about

eerie_me wrote: »
    Yes, this is exactly what I'm worried about

They stick them on cars all the time, people obviously give them business.

The cat is something they would cut off no issues.

Can you park it closer to your house?

• Advertisement

I can park on road directly outside house it's not ideal and it might inconvenience some of the neighbours. Which is fine if it was one who reported me and wanted to take my spot. Doesn't actually give me any better visibility of my car though but fact it's moved might deter anyone with ulterior motives.

I pass a car each day that has not been taxed, insured, NCT'd in 5 years, 2 tyres are flat on a road with only onstreet parking. Some people are more equal than others.
    You should report that to the council :D

eerie_me wrote: »
    I can park on road directly outside house it's not ideal and it might inconvenience some of the neighbours. Which is fine if it was one who reported me and wanted to take my spot. Doesn't actually give me any better visibility of my car though but fact it's moved might deter anyone with ulterior motives.

Park there so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭This is it

Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

This is it wrote: »
    Jesus Christ.

:):);)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Cash for cars are criminals

• Registered Users Posts: 18,502 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Someone above mentioned a neighbor.

I’d say that’s the problem. Your probably parking sometimes in their pet spot and they are doing their best to stop you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

can someone explain the process by which the cash for cars crowd are running an elaborate ruse to steal your 17 year old car?

1. Report to council
    2. ???
    3. Profit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I would imagine it's report to council, somehow car gets towed. It's brought straight away to scrap dealer and they buy it straight off them or something.

And if anyone asks or has issues.... Sure the paperwork must have gotten mixed up

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nobody is scoping out your old car and hoping to take it. The fantasies, bloody hell. If they wanted to take it, they'd have taken it already.

There's a neighbour who sees your car there all the time and reckons its abandoned. Perhaps this neighbour goes back to his parents' house on the weekend and never or rarely sees yourcar move.

Abandoned vehicles are a constant problem when you have communal parking. Some people have zero tolerance for it. In a place I lived, a chip van appeared in the communal spots one day. Huge big bastard, not your mister chippy size, it was a Merc Sprinter van. Sat there for 3 months, tyres went flat, van got dirtier and dirtier. Someone reported it to the council and it turned out a resident had bought it with Roddy Doyle-like notions of cleaning it up and using it. He still didn't move it, so we all kept reporting it until he did.

Easiest solution here is to park the car outside your own house or make a point of not always using the same spot. Move it between two or 3 spots so that people know it's being used.

• Advertisement

Not exactly a high value target

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I'd say its a crack team of eastern European career criminals. It'll end up in the back arse of Poland being parted out for lucrative eBay auctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

without a doubt its your neighbour.Why dont you park it in your own driveway or outside your ownhouse? Send a registered letter to your council with pics of ghe tax etc and clarify it us in full use and legally parked and to ensure they take your and your cars details off their databases.

without a doubt its your neighbour.Why dont you park it in your own driveway or outside your ownhouse? Send a registered letter to your council with pics of ghe tax etc and clarify it us in full use and legally parked and to ensure they take your and your cars details off their databases.
    Why bother with registered letter

Surely email and telephone will do

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

H.20v3 wrote: »
    Why bother with registered letter

Surely email and telephone will do
    A Paper trail is very important, emails can and do disappear and phone calls are not logged.
    For the cost of a registered letter and a date of posting you can show definitively that you made contact with the Authority.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    A Paper trail is very important, emails can and do disappear and phone calls are not logged.
    For the cost of a registered letter and a date of posting you can show definitively that you made contact with the Authority.

I'd say you're talking old school thinking there

Open to correction if wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

G'way will you, it was one ****ing letter advising the car had been reported as abandoned..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,285 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

loyatemu wrote: »
    can someone explain the process by which the cash for cars crowd are running an elaborate ruse to steal your 17 year old car?

1. Report to council
    2. ???
    3. Profit

Report to council, owner gets letter from council.
    Car goes missing, owner spends a month trying to get talking to the right person in the council re why they have taken his car.
    Thieves have long delivered to scrapper and been paid.

The council reporting stops the owner in many cases calling gardai re car being stolen as they believe the council have towed it. This keeps heat off until car is disposed of.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Can you please explain what the harassment of a letter is?

Can you explain the loss suffered that makes you think compensation is warranted.

Compo culture vulture is what you are suggesting. Guess who pays those scamming compo claims you are suggesting. - I'll give you a hint. It's not the Insurance payout Fairy!!

As for the OP. More than likely its the litter warden who has noted it and made a report. Just let them know that its not abandoned and that you primarily use it weekends and you are a local resident. Its as simple as that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

It is a a 2003 car. unless it is some luxury or highly sought after model, it is worth feck all nothing regardless of its condition. it would hardly get 100 euro for scrap.

This is some neighbourhood busybody out complaining to the council.

Advertisement